Aequidens sp. 'rio manacacias redtail'

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

tucc185

Aequidens sp. 'rio manacacias redtail'

Post by tucc185 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:25 am

New to the forums, so hi everyone! I'm seeking any and all information on a fish I've never seen or heard of before: Aequidens sp. 'rio manacacias redtail'. Almost no information online about these, and what little info I could find was not in English. Is anyone familiar with this fish or could point me in the direction of some more info?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Rico Morgenstern
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Aequidens sp. 'rio manacacias redtail'

Post by Rico Morgenstern » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:37 am

Hi Mike, welcome here!
Rio Manacacias is a tributary to the upper Rio Meta in Columbia, where several 'Aequidens-like' cichlids are expected to occur. The few photos and videos of this 'redtail' I have seen suggest that it is a species of the Andinoacara (formerly 'Aequidens') pulcher group, but I'm not able to say if it is an undescribed species or a variant of either A. pulcher or A. latifrons. Both names have applied to forms occuring in the upper Rio Meta drainage, but the differences and geographical limits (if any) between these nominal species have yet to be established. There seem to be several species within this group, but as yet no publication seriously attempting to identify/define them is available. This situation will hopefully soon be remedied. For the moment, the best way to handle it is to denote such forms by their geographic origin and to keep them seperately (i.e. not to interbreed them with related forms).

DRE

Re: Aequidens sp. 'rio manacacias redtail'

Post by DRE » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:14 am

Has any more information regarding this species been presented? Is it an undescribed species or local variant of pulcher?
Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else and thinking something different

Return to “South American Cichlids”