Ex Cichlasoma Festae

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

Alex Odesit

Ex Cichlasoma Festae

Post by Alex Odesit » Fri May 11, 2012 1:16 am

14 years ago, was a last time I kept Red Terror, breeding pair. One of my favorite SA. Beautiful but very aggressive, I am sure most aware of it. I finally free up some space and got 2 juv of wild fish from Ecuador.
As of now I only want to keep one male, I hope from these two 5 cm guys I got lucky and end up with one. The reason I want only male is that I am going to place him in 220 gal with few other large cichlids and I don't want pair who will definitely have an idea to breed and bring the terror to the other tankmates. It is very well may happen with even single moody male, but I'll watch close. Once I had to let go all rowdy fish from similar sized tank because of the Festae pair.
Here some pictures from new arrival and picture of the pair from past that I mention above.
Alex
Attachments
New Festae 3.jpg
New Festae.jpg
Festae fighting.jpg

Alex Odesit

Re: Ex Cichlasoma Festae

Post by Alex Odesit » Fri May 11, 2012 1:19 am

OLD PAIR
Attachments
My 03_Festae_pair_4rR.jpg
My 02_Festae_pair_4r.jpg

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:03 pm

now 2 month after, move from 29 to 90 gal and in few month will go to 220 gal, 6 ft tank.
Angry individual
Attachments
Festae.jpg

Paulo José Alves

Post by Paulo José Alves » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:55 am

Hi Alex

It´s frustrating like young festae are very similar to Urophthalmus. Nice fish,very red. Agressive.

All The Best
Paulo José
All The Best
Paulo José

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:34 am

It is certainly frustrating if you think you acquired uropthalmus, and come home with festae :) (obviously, I cherish uropthalmus much more than festae)

However, I never saw uropthamus with the squares festae normally show - so with squares, beware its festae.

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:29 pm

Paulo José Alves wrote:Hi Alex

It´s frustrating like young festae are very similar to Urophthalmus. Nice fish,very red. Agressive.

All The Best
Paulo José
Hi Paulo,
I had my share of disappointments back in 90's when few times during several month came home from various LFS believing that I bought true Red Terror, later realizing that it's not. But I finally learn my lesson (though it took a lot longer that it would today with all the info and pictures all over the Internet). Back than I only have books with very few pictures, one of the book actually had picture Urophthalmus called Festae.
Many generic and higher class LFS today still mistake these 2 fish, mostly for URO benefit, selling as a Festae for considerably more money.
Now days I can unmistakably see who is who, using various signs for distinction even for very young fish. Including the size of the eye spot in the upper portion of the tail fin base (with very rare exceptions, I saw Uro with similarly located and sized ocelatus spot). Y-bar formed between second and third vertical band in older Festae, and some more 8). Using these method together it's hard to make a mistake.
Disclaimer for Bas: I like Mayan cichlid too, but in this particular time I want and like Festae alot more, ha ha ha

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:34 am

Few pictures of my larger Festae. I believe it is a male.
These speckling looks great on dark multicolored body especially when sun rays hit the tank.
Alex
Attachments
Festae male 2.jpg
Festae male.jpg

zenins

Post by zenins » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:03 pm

Beautiful, thanks for sharing :)

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:09 am

Thanks mate:)

Wooden_Reefer

Post by Wooden_Reefer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:11 pm

Is there a hobby breeder for C Festae in SoCal?

Thanks

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:16 pm

Here some latest pictures. Both Festae grow considerably in 220 gal, still far from the top dog, ex C.Pearsei who can be seeing at one of the picture.
I had Festae's many times in the past, but never found the ones with such dark color for male. Brown/Redish almost, with very pronounced speckling..
Remind me unknown at the time sp cichlid from Colombia I think, if i recall correctly, that we had CRC topic few years back and were debating if this is C.Ornatum or Gephyrum, or just a Festae..

Alex
Attachments
Festae 4.jpg
Festae 3.jpg
Festae 2.jpg
Festae and Pearsei.jpg

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:20 pm

This Festae male did some growing from my last post. I use to have 2 males and this one is the only one I keep now. As expected too much hate to have 2 in the same 220 gal tank, but I am happy to end up with beautiful specimen! He would probably be much bigger in the same period of time if large older male Red Moto did not keep him in check. Festae is around 9" now, still many inches to go, look midget next to ex. C. Pearsei 8)

Alex
Attachments
Terror 3 R.jpg
Festae vs Cuban.jpg
Terror 2.jpg
Terror.jpg
Terror 4.jpg
Terror 6.jpg

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:13 pm

Alex, your beautiful festae is all female. She might be getting to her maximum size at 9". A real nice fish!
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:42 pm

Really Jim? Why would you think its a female? Because of the black bands and the black color of the 2/3 of the dorsal? But look at this fish younger, at my earlier pictures, see how many iridescent dots all over the body? I never see a female with these speckling. Also most female would have black pectoral fins, which my fish does not poses. I don't know man... Thanks for the comment btw.

Alex

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:53 am

Alex Odesit wrote:Really Jim? Why would you think its a female? Because of the black bands and the black color of the 2/3 of the dorsal? But look at this fish younger, at my earlier pictures, see how many iridescent dots all over the body? I never see a female with these speckling. Also most female would have black pectoral fins, which my fish does not poses. I don't know man... Thanks for the comment btw.
Alex
Maybe others could chime in and help with the gender identity. I could very well be mistaken. Regardless, a very nice fish.
Jim
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

newworldsss

Post by newworldsss » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:40 am

Black dorsal and no Iridescence spangling in the unpaired, red orange coloring, looks very female, never seen a male look like that....

amazonia

Post by amazonia » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:21 am

I would also say it is a(by the way very nice looking) female.

Return to “South American Cichlids”