manacapura red shoulder angelfish?

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

ewok

manacapura red shoulder angelfish?

Post by ewok » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:19 am

hi, anyone keep these? i might be getting some F1/2 fish at dime size from a US breeder. any words of advice? pictures? thoughts?

thanks!

Grummie2

Re: manacapura red shoulder angelfish?

Post by Grummie2 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:00 pm

Try to get the history of the parents. IMO true manacapurus are very difficult to induce to spawn (sexes are also hard to ID), if they're breeding every couple of weeks chances are they're NOT manacapuru just domestic silvers (or different wild type) with an orange crown. Manacapuru are tall fish (a little 'altum' like), fin striations are few, the eye only has a faint tint of red on a small part of iris. The 'red' colour is well back from the head and starts to infuse into the dorsal fin.
It would be great if we had pics of KNOWN wild manacapuru to compare the F1 etc to.
I'll try to get some new pics of my F1?/F2?.......
Graham

Grummie2

Post by Grummie2 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:01 pm

These, to the best of my knowledge are Manacapuru 'red back' angels. They are tank bred (F number unknown) from Czech or German origin; I would love to see a true wild version to compare....maybe someone has one ?

This is an example of the 'orange crown' some silver domestics get (some are more orange than this). Notice how the orange crown starts at the snout, in the mana's it starts behind the black bar over the eye. The number of dorsal striations is much greater in the domestic fish (a silver ghost in this example) although this can vary greatly between strains. The red in the mana's iris is confined to the rear of the eye. The 3rd black bar is quite pronounced when the fish is relaxed, and it is wide compared to the others.

HTH

Graham

ewok

Post by ewok » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:22 pm

very helpful insights! thank you.
i'm trying to get the breeder to send me pictures of the parents so i can compare.

this is another guy i found (more expensive) http://www.angelsplus.com/FishWild.htm

here are some videos i found of these fish... they look pretty amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBjP8UWpr8s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmP5V...eature=related

ewok

Post by ewok » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:24 pm

here is another link to the guy's aquabid site... http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/ ... 1307758246

this one expired a while ago... but looking at this fish it seems like it's the normal scalare - fin striations, snout etc. all seem to be that of normal angels... you guys this is legitimate?

Grummie2

Post by Grummie2 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:27 pm

The pic on the Angel+ website of the juvenile is exactly like mine were when young. The video is fantastic, I wish I was able to grow plants like that and the manacapuru look stunning! The other pic is tricky, I don't like commenting on pics like this because fish in the flesh can look much different to a pic; it depends on quality of breeding stock, correct ID of breeding stock and ability with a camera!
I have seen claims for tank bred manacapuru recently tho', some of which are a little dubious. The best bet is to ask questions on their history and get pics to compare....I you're happy they're a good match then go for it. I bought my manacapuru without being totally convinced I'd get the real thing, it was a chance that was worth taking though. If they turned out to be just domestic scalare it wouldn't have been a total loss as they are still very good fish (and the search would have started again).
Graham

Return to “South American Cichlids”