Jack Dempsey problem

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Colton

Jack Dempsey problem

Post by Colton » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:34 pm

hope someone can help.....

I have 5 Jack Dempsey around 2"-3" in a 55 gallon tank and after being in the hospital for 12 days I come home and 3 of the 5 are laying up-right on the bottom, they are not eating much but all the water perimeters test out good PH is 7.8 and today 2 of the 3 that are hanging close to the bottom have a small white spot on their head in the same spot on both fish, it doesn't look like hole-in-the-head disease cause its just 1 bigger spot and doesn't look like that's what it could be but I am not sure.
I have also done 5- 20% water changes in the last 10 days but it seems to stay the same with them not eating hardly at all.

Thank you if any one can help!

Colton

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Jack Dempsey problem

Post by Dan Woodland » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:47 pm

WE'll need a bit more information Colton.

Temperature? Is the heater malfunctioning?

Do they have a single white spot or lot's of little white spots?

Do they look bloated meaning have extended bellies?

Also, what were they eating when they ate last?

Dan

Colton

Re: Jack Dempsey problem

Post by Colton » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:19 pm

the tank temperature is 74 degrees I don't have a heater on the tank so its controlled by room temperature and they stays the same steady, its a single white spot
the last thing they ate was a Cichlid flake from Kens Fish, I have not ever changed their diet since I've had them and they don't appear to be bloated,
also I noticed the smaller one of the 3 that's infected the fins are white on the tips like possibly tail rot? I'm going to try and get some good pictures to post.

Thanks!

Return to “Central American Cichlids”