Hericthys carpinte locations

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
dogofwar

Hericthys carpinte locations

Post by dogofwar » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:52 am

There's a lot of confusion regarding the various H. carpinte varients in the hobby, which are the same, which are different and where they're actually from.

Here are the ones that I think I know (please correct me if I'm confused):

"Escondito" is from Laguna La Vega Escondida near the mouth of Panuco River (Tampico, MX)*
"Chareil" is from Laguna Chairel, also near the mouth of the Panuco River (Tampico, MX)*
"Laguna de la Puerta" - adjacent to Laguna Chairel, near the mouth of the Panuco Basin (Tampico, MX)*
"Salto" from Rio Salto in the Panuco Basin (any specific location?)

* Are these the "same" fish?

Others are:
"Lahillas"
"Vontehillo"

Is there a map that exists with locations and pictures for all of these varients?

Thanks,
Matt

axelfloyd

Re: Hericthys carpinte locations

Post by axelfloyd » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:27 pm

I have another question connected with the subject. What's the difference between H.C. large spot and H.C. small spot? Could you write any links showing both of them?

dogofwar

Post by dogofwar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:52 am

Any other types or locations?

Thanks,
Matt

Rick Thibert

Post by Rick Thibert » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:56 pm

H. carpinte have a very wide spread distribution. There's probably a different variation of carpinte for every tributary of the Rio Pancuo and and Northeast Mexican rivers.

One that comes to mind you haven't listed is Rio Soto La Marina. What's interesting on this variation is that it is the only place where H. carpinte and H. cyanoguttatum live sympatrically and the spots are very small on this variation of carpinte. Almost cyanoguttatum like.............. possibly a natural "hybrid"??

@ Axelfloyd, the problem with using names like "Largespot" or "Smallspot" is that they are common names and aren't indicative of a catch location. More like a domestic name created by a breeder or farm perhaps?? Sorry I can't help you here.

Rick

axelfloyd

Post by axelfloyd » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:11 pm

Thank you very much, Rick.
I thought that HC living in one place had smaller spots than the ones living in different place. I would like to buy a group of small HC and the seller asked me if I wanted HC large spot or HC small spot. The first ones are more expensive although they are smaller. That's the reason of my question :)
Last edited by axelfloyd on Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dogofwar

Post by dogofwar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:17 pm

No doubt that there is a carpinte for every stream :)

I'm mostly interested in getting resolution around the varients most frequently found in the hobby.

It's strange to read a thread about "Rare F0 Carpinte 'X'"...and how it's a much nicer varient than another one that is the same fish (i.e. from the same watershed / a pond across the street)...

Matt
Rick Thibert wrote:H. carpinte have a very wide spread distribution. There's probably a different variation of carpinte for every tributary of the Rio Pancuo and and Northeast Mexican rivers.

One that comes to mind you haven't listed is Rio Soto La Marina. What's interesting on this variation is that it is the only place where H. carpinte and H. cyanoguttatum live sympatrically and the spots are very small on this variation of carpinte. Almost cyanoguttatum like.............. possibly a natural "hybrid"??

@ Axelfloyd, the problem with using names like "Largespot" or "Smallspot" is that they are common names and aren't indicative of a catch location. More like a domestic name created by a breeder or farm perhaps?? Sorry I can't help you here.

Rick

Rick Thibert

Post by Rick Thibert » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:07 pm

There is another race from the Rio Verde, which hybridizes with Media Luna labridens. A manmade ditch called "isoqueas" (from memory) has been dug out some 20+ years back to allow the Media Luna Springs to feed water to surrounding towns........... thus allowing two previously seperate bodies of water (and species) to hybridize. Interestingly, H. bartoni will not hybridize with either carpinte or labridens. :)

DRE

Post by DRE » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:06 am

dogofwar wrote:There's a lot of confusion regarding the various H. carpinte varients in the hobby, which are the same, which are different and where they're actually from.

Here are the ones that I think I know (please correct me if I'm confused):

"Escondito" is from Laguna La Vega Escondida near the mouth of Panuco River (Tampico, MX)*
"Chareil" is from Laguna Chairel, also near the mouth of the Panuco River (Tampico, MX)*
"Laguna de la Puerta" - adjacent to Laguna Chairel, near the mouth of the Panuco Basin (Tampico, MX)*
"Salto" from Rio Salto in the Panuco Basin (any specific location?)

* Are these the "same" fish?

Others are:
"Lahillas"
"Vontehillo"

Is there a map that exists with locations and pictures for all of these varients?

Thanks,
Matt
Old thread, but it happens to be of interest for me right now.
On Vontehillo, this not from me thus not my friend so a bit second hand info:
I quote my Mexican friend Miguel Angel Gómez Garza: Vontehillo is a fake name, there is not a place in Mexico with that name. Someone in the hobby made up that name to introduce H. carpintis with big turquoise spots. The origen of this fish is Media Luna lake in east San Luis Potosí, in the central part of the country. The riverine H. carpintis have small spots, that is the difference
Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else and thinking something different

TheFishGuy

Post by TheFishGuy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:18 am

Yes, super old thread but I’d love to know how accurate this information is:

“I quote my Mexican friend Miguel Angel Gómez Garza: Vontehillo is a fake name, there is not a place in Mexico with that name. Someone in the hobby made up that name to introduce H. carpintis with big turquoise spots. The origen of this fish is Media Luna lake in east San Luis Potosí, in the central part of the country. The riverine H. carpintis have small spots, that is the difference”

Return to “Central American Cichlids”