Thorichthys sp. 'coatzacoalcos' (AKA 'mixteco' blue)

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
fevelasco

Thorichthys sp. 'coatzacoalcos' (AKA 'mixteco' blue)

Post by fevelasco » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:06 pm

Greetings! Although I have regularly visited The Cichlid Room Companion for years, I'm new to the Forum.

I am currently maintaining a group of F1 Thorichthys sp. 'coatzacoalcos' that I obtained as fry from the 2007 ACA Convention in Sacramento in a 72x24x18 aquarium. Some may be more familiar with the designation 'mixteco' for this undescribed Thorichthys. Mine represent the 'Blue' color form. I did note the excellent discussion thread about this fish on the Forum:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=614

I don't have any good photographs of my fish, but I did manage to record a video showing a pair guarding their eggs and courting specimens exhibiting to each other:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGSIVmmzHYg

I have found them to be excellent parents and, for heroine cichlids, reasonably well-behaved citizens in a planted, community aquarium.

I would be interested in the impressions of those who've also kept this fish and/or observed it in its native habitat.

MonteSS

Re: Thorichthys sp. 'coatzacoalcos' (AKA 'mixteco' blue)

Post by MonteSS » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:03 pm

Your blues look great. How big are they?

I have a single 3" female "gold" from Rapps in my 75g female community tank. I had her 9 months and she did not grow much but was active and healthy. She was heavily dominated by a 5" female ellioti. I removed the Ellioti a couple months ago and the Mixteco is growing and coloring up nicely. I would assume she is still stunted growth. She does not use a cave much or guard a territory. She does duke it out with my clown loach every so often, but mostly keeps to herself.

...Bill

fevelasco

Post by fevelasco » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:15 pm

Thanks for your note and the nice photo of your fish.

My largest male is about 4" TL and the other two are slightly smaller. The females are about 3.5". Judging from mature specimens I've seen, I think mine will grow another 0.5" more. I recorded the video soon after moving them into a larger aquarium. They have "calmed down" considerably since then. Perhaps they were merely trying to establish territories in their new home. Also, two of the females are currently preoccupied tending wrigglers.

Previously, in a 40 gallon grow out tank, I kept them with some Cryptoheros nanoluteus. Although larger than the C. nanoluteus, they tended to be intimidated by their boisterous tankmates. I was surprised, however, that the dominant pair managed to spawn twice in this high density environment.

I have not kept the Gold morph of the 'Mixteco' so I could be mistaken, but I believe your specimen is a male. In the photos posted by @Grummie2 in the other thread ("Rio Misteco"), you'll notice that all of the females have black markings in the dorsal fin. I believe that for Thorichthys sp. 'coatzacoalcos' this sexual dimorphism is fairly reliable.

fevelasco

Post by fevelasco » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:17 pm

I was able to take some photos of my fish during courtship and now that the fry have reached the free-swimming stage. Photos are not of great quality, but they illustrate the vertical bar color pattern of parental fish.

Coloration of courting fish:
Mixteco 125 gallon 005.JPG
Male
Mixteco 125 gallon 007.JPG
Female (left), Male (right)
Parental coloration:
Mixteco 125 gallon 040.JPG
Female transferring fry from one pit in the gravel to another.
Mixteco 125 gallon 042.JPG
Male displaying at the camera in defense of fry

MonteSS

Post by MonteSS » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:05 am

Great looking fish. GL with the fry

...Bill

fevelasco

Post by fevelasco » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:10 am

Video of the parents tending the fry just as they reach the free-swimming stage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRR5hqLyuiE

Cichlid parents become very active when their offspring reach this developmental milestone.

fevelasco

Post by fevelasco » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:11 pm

I now have three pairs with fry in the same aquarium (two batches are free-swimming and another just hatched and are still wrigglers). The plants are really taking a beating. I was able to capture the interactions between the parents as they approached each other's territories on video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ClMYXXOJFM

fevelasco

Post by fevelasco » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:34 pm

Nearly a year later and the pairs continue to spawn regularly. The male of the dominant pair is over 6" TL and the female is about 4.5".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxz_oaMHdbA

fevelasco

Post by fevelasco » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:55 pm

The pair continue to spawn about once a month. The male is nearly 7" and the female is 5".

http://youtu.be/trgEmukwsEs?hd=1

fevelasco

Post by fevelasco » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:49 pm

Since my sponsorship for this still undescribed species was due for renewal, I thought I'd share some photos of my pair (which have continued to spawn regularly).

6" male
T. sp. coatzacoalcos male CRC.jpg
T. sp. coatzacoalcos male CRC.jpg (66.49 KiB) Viewed 3075 times
4" female
T. sp. coatzacoalcos female CRC.jpg
T. sp. coatzacoalcos female CRC.jpg (56.93 KiB) Viewed 3075 times
YouTube video: http://youtu.be/MLIWfI6ifmA?hd=1

gnuisance

Post by gnuisance » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:28 am

Wow, its neat to see three years of growth in three consecutive posts. Thanks for sharing

Return to “Central American Cichlids”