Amatitlania nigrofasciatus "Rio Choluteca"

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
gage

Amatitlania nigrofasciatus "Rio Choluteca"

Post by gage » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:28 am

But not just any convicts! I just recently purchased a bunch of F1 Amatitlania nigrofasciatus "Rio Choluteca" juveniles, approximately .5-.75", hence the fact I have no pictures... :lol: I'll try again for pictures tomorrow.

I've been looking to set-up a biotope for Convicts a long time, which i have set-up already, but only as accurate as what I could find, which is simply a biotope of a stream in Honduras. Here is my problem, I'm more fussy then that :P , because I know there locale, I am not as satisfied with my current biotope, It looks great, but it needs to be more accurate, preferably accurate to not only just Rio Choluteca, but as accurate as to what part of the river they originate from (fast flowing/ slow moving, gravel/sand, rocks/driftwood, exact species of plants if any at all). I'm looking to set it up as exact to there natural habitat as I can, ideally I would like it to be that the only way to tell the difference between my tank and the real thing is the fact that it is in a tank.

This is where I need you guys, does anyone here know about the way the Rio Choluteca river system looks underwater? or can someone point me in the right direction to find out some info? I'm having a heck of a time finding info like this.

thanks, and I'll get pics up soon, i promise :lol:

By the way, does anyone have pics of sexually mature convicts of this locale?
Last edited by gage on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dogofwar

Re: Amatitlania nigrofasciatus "Rio Choluteca"

Post by dogofwar » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:41 am

Hi Gage,

I have really, really bad pictures of them :)

Here you go: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... +Chuloteca

Breeding female

I have two pairs...need to clean some glass and take better pictures...

Ken Davis
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Ken Davis » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:25 am

Hi Gage, all the Choluteca in the hobby are decendance of this pair I caught in 2006. The males are a purple blue color and females have orange fins and red bellies, they stay very small and may even be a new species and not nigrofasiata.The Chuloteca is a slow moving, wide, shallow river with a sandy bottom and a few rock, no vegetaiton except what hangs into the water from the shore. It is in a desert so all that is on the shore is basically grasses and willows. Ken
Attachments
post-12070-1161228262[1].jpg
post-12070-1161228262[1].jpg (45.15 KiB) Viewed 7054 times
post-12070-1161228285[1].jpg
post-12070-1161228285[1].jpg (41.54 KiB) Viewed 7065 times
An empty tank is a terrible thing to waste!

Ken Davis
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Ken Davis » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:38 am

Some shots of the exact collection local. Ken
Attachments
4-23-06 (42) - Copy.JPG
4-23-06 (40) - Copy.JPG

gage

Post by gage » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:01 am

well thanks a ton for breeding them!They are a truly magnificent looking 'Convict' and thanks for the description, i better get those couple of scattered vallisneria out of there then :lol:

so i have just two more questions to ask you, considering you were there and all :lol:, what other species of fish did you find within the river? is there a thread on this forum from the trip? and just how small do these guys stay? around the size of A. siquia? or even smaller like C. nanoluteus? i had never seen these guys before i grabbed this bunch from Spencer.

gage

Post by gage » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:17 am

oh, what age/size do these little guys sexually mature at?

i just need a black background.

dogofwar

Post by dogofwar » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:25 pm

Mine started breeding at ~1.5" male and 1" female...a couple of weeks after I got them from Ken :)

Mine took a liking to a flowerpot. Not exactly authentic to Rio Choluteca so maybe some rocks arranged that way would suffice.

Unless you want them to hug the bottom you might add some dithers and taller plants / rocks.

gage

Post by gage » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:00 pm

hey, i plan to add some rocks, but need to go collecting.

i was asking about other fish found for that exact reason, they are pretty happy go lucky without dithers, chasing my finger, but id like to have dithers in there. i like the natural green swordtails, but i dont know if they are found in the same area.

gage

Post by gage » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:02 pm

dogofwar wrote:Mine started breeding at ~1.5" male and 1" female...a couple of weeks after I got them from Ken :)

Mine took a liking to a flowerpot. Not exactly authentic to Rio Choluteca so maybe some rocks arranged that way would suffice.

Unless you want them to hug the bottom you might add some dithers and taller plants / rocks.
at an inch? wow, pretty crazy, but i suppose they are a type of convict.

dogofwar

Post by dogofwar » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:18 pm

I presently keep boys and girls separated so as not to be overtaken with offspring :)

Wish I could tell you what would be authentic tankmates.

I had some goodeids in with them (some Ilyodon)...they were pretty brutal on them / good parents (glass half empty / half full)...but this was in a 20 long.

Mine range in personality from scared of their shadows to mini-glassbangers. I guess kind of like people!

Ken also has some A. siquia "Rio Claro" that are great fish. My males are more silvery blue and the females turn almost black when breeding.

Matt

dogofwar

Post by dogofwar » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:21 pm

Ken: what were the largest of these that you found?

My largest male is probably 3.5"...

gage

Post by gage » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:56 pm

dogofwar wrote:I presently keep boys and girls separated so as not to be overtaken with offspring :)

Wish I could tell you what would be authentic tankmates.

I had some goodeids in with them (some Ilyodon)...they were pretty brutal on them / good parents (glass half empty / half full)...but this was in a 20 long.

Mine range in personality from scared of their shadows to mini-glassbangers. I guess kind of like people!

Ken also has some A. siquia "Rio Claro" that are great fish. My males are more silvery blue and the females turn almost black when breeding.

Matt
heh, i want a pair of Wild A. siquia, doesnt matter to me which locale they are, but Spencer (which is local to me) only has leucistics in right now. and id like to buy the tanks before the fish anyways.

id grab a few in a heartbeat if they are small though, i don't know what my parents would say about me orderig fish online though.

dogofwar

Post by dogofwar » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:11 pm

Just noticed that you're in Canada...bummer.

I'd send you some F-1 siquia from "Lago Nicaragua" or some of the "Rio Claro" I talked about before. Both are great fish...

I'm not sure about during the Canadian winter, but I've had great luck receiving shipped fish (knock on wood!) :lol: Ken Davis, Jeff Rapps, Julie from Frybabies all do a top-notch job of shipping.

Ken Davis
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Ken Davis » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:33 am

Rio Chuloteca species:
Amphilophus hogaboomorum
Astheros cf longimanus
Cryptoheros cutteri
Amtitlantia cf nigrofasiatus
Parachromis motoguense
Parachromis fredrichsthalli
Anebleps dowii
Poecillia sp (2)
Tetras (10-15 species)

gage

Post by gage » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:11 pm

not to be picky, but are any of the tetras a commonly found species? or am i SOL when it comes to dithers of the same river.

hey dogofwar, id love it, but like you said Canadian winters are not great, and im pretty sure shipping across the border is a pain.

doesnt Jeff Rapps have a policy about shipping to Canada, im 16, and though i do have money, my parents wont let me spend it on fish :( , kinda why its nice that Spencer is local to me.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:58 am

As far as I know, no CA tetras are abvailable - unfortunately

The best tank I can imagine has CA cichlids - from 1 lacation, together with catfish, life bearers and tetras from that exact location, but this is virtually impossible

No one exports fish from CA

Ken Davis
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Ken Davis » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:31 am

Usually you can find some Mexican teras which are basically the same as most fo the ones in the Chuloteca, the mollies are a mexicana/sphenops type too, some of them are in the hobby as I've sold lots of fry, they are sold as spot tail or bar tail from Honduras. I have hogaboomorum fry for sale and longimanus, motoguense and freddys are pretty easy to find. Ken

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:39 am

The only Mexican tetra I can think of commonly found are the blind cave tetras.

gage

Post by gage » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:26 pm

so shenops mollies come from here? perfect, ill use them then, id like green swords, but havent found evidence that they come from Choluteca, s ill need to research more!

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:44 pm

Lisachromis wrote:The only Mexican tetra I can think of commonly found are the blind cave tetras.
That's right, there are different varieties. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz= ... tnG=Search

The sighted version occurrs in EVERY water shed throughout Central America and Mexico. A very successful fish in terms of adaptability and range. One could say there are a bit of a pest or infestation.

Return to “Central American Cichlids”