Astatheros Rostratus

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Lee Nuttall

Re: Astatheros Rostratus

Post by Lee Nuttall » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:42 am

They are beautiful, a credit to you!! 8)

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:59 am

Thanks Lee :)

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:53 pm

Compliments on your beautiful A rostratus - and yes, if a posting about A rostratus happens to be the 1000th - much the better 8)

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:19 pm

Bas Pels wrote:Compliments on your beautiful A rostratus - and yes, if a posting about A rostratus happens to be the 1000th - much the better 8)
Thank you Bas! I know you will enjoy these guys, once before I posted them by accident in a day of your birthday!
BTW, I read in some of the recent topics that you lost your Rostratus due to the old age. How old where they are? And sorry on your lost.
Alex

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:28 pm

Alex

I got mine in April 2005.

They might have been able to live a bit linger, but April 2012 was hectic: Their large tank needed cleaning (It went dry, I glued inner filters inside the tank) so they had to go to another tank, and I put them back a moth later. I lost 5 of them, I now have only 3 :(

There 3 are still doing well, but I think it was their age, and the double move, which dit it to them

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:58 pm

I see Bas and I agree, they (Rostratus) does not take easy any maintance in their tank, let alone complete move in and out. Too much stress.
Well, at least you have 3 more to enjoy.
Alex

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:30 pm

Congratulations Alex.You have an incredibly beautiful, well maintained species there. One that's definitely on my wish list.
Jim
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:39 pm

notho2000 wrote:Congratulations Alex.You have an incredibly beautiful, well maintained species there. One that's definitely on my wish list.
Jim
Jim, thank you very much for good words! Much appreciated.
Alex

Piotr Koba
CRC contributor

Post by Piotr Koba » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:00 am

I love to see how Cichlids (especially my favourites - the Centrals) develop from the "ugly ducklings" into marvellous creatures as your A. rostratus specimens did. Just take a look @ the first post in this thread, simply stunning! :) And yeah, that must be a sign that you've posted 1.000 times to share those beauties, lol.

By the way, I might have asked it already (I surely did): how large is the tank you maintain them in?
Cheers
Piotr

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:08 am

Wow Alex those are stunning! At what size do you see males develop a hump?

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:42 am

Thanks guys.
@Piotr, i start them at 90 gal and move to 125 gal (6 ft) tank when they reach few inch size (Bas Pels mentioned before and I agree they don't like to be moved, got stressed for long time, so it should be done less as possible).
This fish is pretty active so they need space despite they are not that big of the fish. I currently have 2 male and 2 female. Male around 7.5 inch and female around 6", all (TL). They are solely cichlids there with some red tailed sharks, otapa swords and few tetras. Like someone says before at the beginning of this thread, not much killing in that tank 8) < e.g. Peaceful..and joy to watch

@CA cichlid dude.> Both of my male began developed hump at around 5", when they started pair off with female, the fish is slow growing and mature (at least in my experience), may be because I keep them in fairly cool water 72-74F most of the time and feed very little compare to others I know. But my Rostratus seems to be healthy, good shaped, happy and breed often.

Alex

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:17 pm

Thanks Alex, mine is about that size and doesn't have the hump your do. I and not sure of the sex, because I haven't vented the fish. I has taken about 2 years for mine to get to 5". Do you think it will get any bigger?

Kevin Cumberton

Post by Kevin Cumberton » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:43 pm

VERY nice Alex!
"Masakatsu Agatsu" Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969)

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:41 pm

Thanks Kevin!

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:47 pm

CA cichlid dude wrote:Thanks Alex, mine is about that size and doesn't have the hump your do. I and not sure of the sex, because I haven't vented the fish. I has taken about 2 years for mine to get to 5". Do you think it will get any bigger?
How many Rostratus do you have and how big the tank? In my experience their maturity took longer than 2 years. I would say around 3 and hump start grow only after male fish become sexually attractive to the female.
If you look through my pictures here, you'll notice that when female interesting in breeding she always have darker (almost black) part of her lower body, starting from the head and all way to the anal fin. Also male Rostratus is always larger than female.
Just look through my topic, you'll see the gender difference.
Hope this helps.
Alex

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:56 pm

Alex Odesit wrote:
CA cichlid dude wrote:Thanks Alex, mine is about that size and doesn't have the hump your do. I and not sure of the sex, because I haven't vented the fish. I has taken about 2 years for mine to get to 5". Do you think it will get any bigger?
How many Rostratus do you have and how big the tank? In my experience their maturity took longer than 2 years. I would say around 3 and hump start grow only after male fish become sexually attractive to the female.
If you look through my pictures here, you'll notice that when female interesting in breeding she always have darker (almost black) part of her lower body, starting from the head and all way to the anal fin. Also male Rostratus is always larger than female.
Just look through my topic, you'll see the gender difference.
Hope this helps.
Alex
I only have one rostratus in a 150g with a few other CA cichlid sp. I did see sex difference in yours. This is kind of why I wish I kept a group of them. Would you say males and females get similar in size to a. robertsoni?

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:01 pm

[/quote]
I only have one rostratus in a 150g with a few other CA cichlid sp. I did see sex difference in yours. This is kind of why I wish I kept a group of them. Would you say males and females get similar in size to a. robertsoni?[/quote]

If he is a loner (Rostratus) in your tank he may never achieve large hump, like if he would if he get female next to him. The hump noticeably enlarge during mating activity.
Also I didn't have chance to keep A.Roberstoni so I can't comment on it's maximum size. These one I did came across pretty much similar sized to my A. Rostratus. Around 8" for male and smaller for female.
Alex

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:57 pm

CA cichlid dude wrote:I only have one rostratus in a 150g with a few other CA cichlid sp. I did see sex difference in yours. This is kind of why I wish I kept a group of them. Would you say males and females get similar in size to a. robertsoni?
Hi,
I can comment on one population of A. robertsoni, the 'Jutiapa'. Mine (3 breeding pairs) are over two years of age now and the males are pretty much the same size as the females.The only thing that is sexually dimorphic in them is the female has a black blotch in the dorsal. They've achieved a maximum TL of 5-6". They were very slow growing and started to breed at about 4". I also have A. altifrons adults (11 of them with 2 males and 9 females). The males are around 7", the females 4-5". They too were extremely slow growers. Here's a couple of pics of the pairs.
IMG_7051.JPG[/attachment [attachment=0]Astatheros altifrons1.jpg
Attachments
Astatheros altifrons1.jpg
IMG_7051.JPG
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:46 am

CA cichlid dude wrote:I only have one rostratus in a 150g with a few other CA cichlid sp. I did see sex difference in yours. This is kind of why I wish I kept a group of them. Would you say males and females get similar in size to a. robertsoni?
I have roberstoni which are similarlily large as my rostratum, both close to 20 cm, but many robertsoni types remain smaller. The fishes Northo showed - I've had them too - never got over 14 cm. However, I wonder whether they are robertsoni.

As you can see, the fishes have a horizontal bar while tending to the eggs - like longimanus. The robertsoni I've bred have vertical bars - a very different pattern. But many people disagree with me on this subject :?

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:08 pm

Bas Pels wrote:
I have roberstoni which are similarlily large as my rostratum, both close to 20 cm, but many robertsoni types remain smaller. The fishes Northo showed - I've had them too - never got over 14 cm. However, I wonder whether they are robertsoni.

As you can see, the fishes have a horizontal bar while tending to the eggs - like longimanus. The robertsoni I've bred have vertical bars - a very different pattern. But many people disagree with me on this subject :?
My female a. robertsoni is about 9 inches and my rostratum is about 6''. It took a very long time for my rostratum to get that size, so I was wondering if it would get any bigger. The two live together and pretty much ignore each other. I found this odd, because my robertsoni and rostratus would never tolerate any thorichthys sp. in the 150g. I have tried meeki, aureus, and mixteco. Some how the robersoni and rostratus work, which I didn't think was possible.
I have to agree about the vertical bars on the breeding robertsoni. Mine had this when she laid eggs without a male. The Rio Jutiapa robertsoni do seem to be smaller then other varriants. Is this the same with rostratum? I understand the size and body shape is different depending where they are collected. Are there other differences too and what locations?

Return to “Central American Cichlids”