Astatheros Rostratus

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
chc

Re: Astatheros Rostratus

Post by chc » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:58 pm

cichluvr wrote:Hi everyone...the rostratus are mine that are listed on aquabid. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have on the spawning of these...

Great! I'll send you a PM...

emk

Post by emk » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:16 am

My lacustrine pair:

Sorry for the bad pics!

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:42 am

Never mind about the quality of the pics. You got wonderfull rostratus, with eggs

Wow

I won't complain about my rostratus, thay are wondefull too (no surprise, after all, they are rostratus :lol: ) but they don't have eggs :?

Michael Kwist

Post by Michael Kwist » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:02 am

Bas, When do you post some pictures from the Rostratus?? I want to see how they look like now, because i can only remember me some small fish :lol:
Greetings Michael.

Marko Lenac

Post by Marko Lenac » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:21 am

hope Bas agree I show his fish
Attachments
157 (Custom).JPG

chc

Post by chc » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:14 am

Gosh what a beautiful fish!!!

Emk, it's very tough to tell which one is the male and which is the female in your photos (but you clearly have both -- congratulations!). Is that what you see in person too?

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:44 am

nice to see A. Rostratus pair with eggs. Good job EMK. If possible keep us posted with eggs/fry development.
I'll take a guess, is the fish on pic # 3 from the top female on the right and male at the back?
pic # 5, female front, male at the back?

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:48 am

Marko Lenac wrote:hope Bas agree I show his fish
Marko now show your Rostratus to us 8)

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:08 pm

Thanks Marko

they are most beautifull fishes in the world, aren't they?

Michael Kwist

Post by Michael Kwist » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:42 pm

They are beauty's! but not the most beautifull fishes of the world for me.. You know my taste of fish.. i like strange dull fish! :lol:
Greetings Michael.

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:38 pm

Bas Pels wrote:Thanks Marko

they are most beautifull fishes in the world, aren't they?
I would say, one of the most beautiful, yeah

Marko Lenac

Post by Marko Lenac » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:19 pm

Alex Odesit wrote:
I have 3 different groups of different sizes but I would prefer to have 12 young ones from Bas...
Attachments
065 (Custom).JPG
001 (Custom).JPG

Michael Kwist

Post by Michael Kwist » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:22 pm

Nice nourissati!
Strange fish behind it :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Greetings Michael.

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:43 pm

Marko Lenac wrote:
Alex Odesit wrote:
I have 3 different groups of different sizes but I would prefer to have 12 young ones from Bas...
Very nice Marko! Thanks for posting.
Your Rostratus (from the pictures) looking very similar to the 5 I have. Same body shape and coloration. They must be around 2 year old?

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:45 pm

to EMK:
Can you please provide water conditions,like temp, etc.. under your Rostratus spawn? How big the tank and if any tankmates present.

Marko Lenac

Post by Marko Lenac » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:00 pm

Alex Odesit wrote: Your Rostratus (from the pictures) looking very similar to the 5 I have. Same body shape and coloration. They must be around 2 year old?
on the first bad photo is a 2 years old fish and on the second it is a aprox year and a half old fish. I have the third group of 6 months old

emk

Post by emk » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:00 am

Alex Odesit wrote:to EMK:
Can you please provide water conditions,like temp, etc.. under your Rostratus spawn? How big the tank and if any tankmates present.
Alex, I honestly do not keep tabs on my water conditions. Frankly I do not monitor my fish very well, and they are all on an sporadic schedule of water changes and feeding. Somehow, however, my fish just like to breed! I have been fortunate enough to be able to breed many different cichlids, including "difficult" ones, but I attribute my success on just dumb luck rather than skill! My local water comes in around 7.5 but fluctuates (lower) before the next water change. Temp varies as well, going at times from 70 degrees F to 82 degrees F. Right now, the tank is running cool, around 76 degrees F.

The pair are about 6-7 inches. If I fed them regularly, maybe they would be much bigger! I originally received 8 in late 2006 at about 4-5 inches. Yet at this size/age, I had two pairs form and one of them did spawn and produced fry twice. They can be pushy towards other fish as well, but don't seem to bother other fish often. However, they show high levels of conspecific aggression, which subsequently resulted in the demise of many of them throughout the years.

This lacustrine pair are in a tank with a 2 ft x 6 ft footprint, sharing one side with a much larger pair of riverine rostratum. I know this is not ideal and will separate them once I get more tank space. However, they seem to do well together as long as they stick to either side of the tank. The smaller pair definitely have become more aggressive, attacking the much larger riverine rostratus! There is pea gravel as substrate vs. sand, but it doesn't seem to bother them and they sift through it accordingly.

Below are more pics of the pair moving fry to the corner of the tank. The male is more colorful than the female, but hopefully the (more bad!) pics will better show the differences between the two. If you see a group of the together, particularly when breeding, the difference is clear:
female

male

pair

Below are pics of the riverine pair:

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:57 pm

@ EMK,
Thank you for providing detail information and pictures, whatever you do seems working well.
Did you notice that your Rostratus having breeding ideas after large scale water change or large water temp fluctuation, from cold to warm, or opposite?
I also agree with you on this fish behavior. They do pushy towards they own, and absolutely ignore other fish currently in my tank (no other cichlids though).Yet, i observed several aggressive encounters against Thor Helleri I use to have in the same tank some time ago, so they (Rostratus) not absolutely pussy cat 8).
Will look for more pictures and information upon developing in your tank.
Alex

emk

Post by emk » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:50 am

chc wrote:Emk, it's very tough to tell which one is the male and which is the female in your photos (but you clearly have both -- congratulations!). Is that what you see in person too?
chc / Alex, in the first set of pictures I posted:
1. female
2. female
3. male - left side
4. male - right side
5. female - left side

Alex, when I do water changes, the new added water is cooler (but not cold) than the tank water. I do large (min 50%) water changes on all my tanks, including tanks with fry.

I think your fish are growing up nicely and already stunning! I think however that they are still a bit too young to spawn. Maybe in another 6 months they will be more interested in each other? But with cichlids, you never know because many will breed at much younger age/smaller size! From reading and research I've done, I think the riverine type you are keeping get much larger, 11+ inches! My largest lacustrine was at least 6 years old and was still only about 9 inches. I think because of this difference in size, the lacustrine is able to breed at smaller sizes.

I don't see any of the "rust" color on my lacustrine compared to the riverine type, however the olive green is more prominent with less spangling. It would be interesting to see if anyone could do more scientific research between these two fish because both types, in my opinion, seem different enough to almost be separate species (shape, coloration, size). Maybe that's a stretch and the differences can really be attributed to environmental conditions?

chc

Post by chc » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:31 pm

emk, thanks for the info!

It's funny. My lacstrine fish didn't show much of the rust/copper color for a long time..... at least a year. Now the copper is very bright (still not as many spangles, and the spangles there are are more golden than bluish as in my riverine).

The body shape is completely different between the two. I agree, more work needs to be done on the differences between the types.

Return to “Central American Cichlids”