Red Dovii & Mike Sheridan

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Aquamojo

Red Dovii & Mike Sheridan

Post by Aquamojo » Mon May 26, 2008 8:30 am

At the Denver ACA convention MIke Sheridan and I were talking about the Parachromis dovii. A fan of the tank buster Mike went on about a red morph dovii photo that he had...a slide actually. He said the that the fish was in a specimen jar at (I believe) the Univ. of Costa Rica. A few weeks later as promised Mike sent the slide. Here's the picture:

Has anyone ever heard of or seen this color morph? Mike made mention that he believed the fish was caught in deep water.
"Some days you have the hobby. Other days the Hobby has YOU!"

American Cichlid Association 2010 Chairman
American Cichlid Association Publicity Chairman

michi tobler
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Red Dovii & Mike Sheridan

Post by michi tobler » Mon May 26, 2008 10:43 am

Mo, there are supposed to be red dovii in the Lago Arenal, a reservoir next to the Arenal volcano in Costa Rica. I was fishing there in 2002 and caught some dovii... all in normal coloration though. As the lake is a reservoir I doubt that red ones occur there regularly and it might be that this specimen was just a weird mutation within a population. The fact that Bill Bussing never caught a red dovii by himself kind of makes me doubt that there are populations out there where red individuals occur on a regular basis.
Cheers, m
Humans are not the pinnacle of evolutionary progress but only an aberrant side branch of fish evolution - Moyle

Website

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Tue May 27, 2008 2:55 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Don Hiatt
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Don Hiatt » Wed May 28, 2008 8:19 pm

Don Conkel stated in his book that he attempted to collect a red form of Dovii in a river in Costa Rica, but was unable to due to the fast current in the river.

Since I never saw any pictures, I wrote it off as being a "fish tale" so to speak.

I am impressed that they exist. I do hope they make their way into hobbyists tanks.

Rick Thibert

Post by Rick Thibert » Thu May 29, 2008 12:53 am

WOW!!

It looks as if the background has a red hue to it as well! My suspicious side wonders if the pic isn't doctored slightly.

I don't doubt the fish is red, but wondered if the picture was modified to intensify the red?!?

You going on a trip to collect them Mo?!? :) Or at least try!? :)

BC

Jack Aldrich

Post by Jack Aldrich » Sat May 31, 2008 12:35 pm

One of the co-owners of a fish store near me (A Place for Pets in Burien, WA; great place to get CA/SA cichlids) told me that one of his suppliers down in Florida called him and told him that he had a red dovii in his breeding pond. The co-owner, Ken (I don't know his last name) said that he found a guy that was willing to pay big money for the fish, so Ken flew all the way down to Florida, drained the pond, and got the red dovii from this supplier and brought it back.

Whether or not any of this is actually true, I don't know, but Ken is a good guy and very knowledgeable. I just wanted to share my "experience" with red dovii.

Anton Cheng

Post by Anton Cheng » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:05 am

Hello,

Gentlemen, I live in Seattle and recently discovered the person you are looking for in reference to the person offering for the red dovii. On you tube he is referred to as guapote mel. He had been in the hobby for 4 plus decades. Interesting stories!
Good luck!
Cheers!
Anton

bennymoreno51

Post by bennymoreno51 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:58 am

Welcome to this site mike great to have you on board

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

bennymoreno51

Post by bennymoreno51 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:56 am

I has them before

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

jfazande

Post by jfazande » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:00 pm

Currently Keeping:

Cichlids

Amatitlania nigrofasciatus
exLamprologus brevis
Trichromis salvini
Rocio octofasciatus

Non-Cichlid

Beta splendens

Don Danko
OCA member

Post by Don Danko » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:28 pm

I have an old slide of a red dovii that I got from some ACA member probably in the '80's. I'll have to find it, record the date and scan it. Might have been from Mike, not positive. Definitely not altered in any way. It certainly wasn't bright red, but in line with the fish in the youtube videos posted. The photo above doesn't show up for me at the time, so I don't know if it's the same pic that Mo posted or not. I'll reach out to Mo.

I also have some pics that I took of an oligomelanic guapote that may be a friedrichsthalii. I recall it being at an ACA show somewhere. Just kind of a pinkish white. I've never seen them since. I'll have to find those slides as well...
Like the Ohio Cichlid Association on Facebook!

smitty

Post by smitty » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:44 pm

I wonder if eating certain foods impacted his color, and it was a rare occurrence.
150gal- Dovi's; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260
180gal- Managuense; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; FX5
210gal- Argta,Bifsct,Fnstrtus,Maculcda,Regani,Syns,Zntus; 4 AC P.Filters; 2 AC P.Hds; Eheim 2250,2262; FX5

IlseMcfadden

Post by IlseMcfadden » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:24 am

Mo, there are guessed to be dark red dovii in the Lago Arenal, an archive by the Arenal spring of spouting magma in Costa Rica. I was once calculating there in 2002 and got some dovii... All in normal tone notwithstanding the way that. Since the lake is a storehouse I question that red ones occur there generally and it perhaps that this precedent was just an odd change inside a people. The manner in which that charge Bussing never got a purple dovii by strategies for himself arrangement of makes me question that there are peoples in the market the spot purple individuals occur on a standard premise.

darlawade

Post by darlawade » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:09 pm

Interesting.

Return to “Central American Cichlids”