Need advice on bartoni

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Newfy

Need advice on bartoni

Post by Newfy » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:19 pm

Hi Everyone

Just got some H. bartoni last week and am extremely happy with them. (Jeff Rapps)
I have 5 and they are in a 90 gal with an emperor 400 and an eheim 2250

I tried making Juan Miguel's homemade recepie for herbavores but failed dismally. I think I should have not cooked the oats and used raw peas instead of canned ones. It clouded up the water a lot, Oh well.

I am afraid to feed the bartonis anything but pure spirulina as I am afraid of Bloat. I got the pure stuff from Ken's. I also got HBH 8 veggie flake (no dies)It contains some fish meal. Can I feed this to my bartoni and sleep at night :shock:

Can I feed them anything else besides this veggie diet and when they are big enough to spawn, will they be ready just feeding them this diet?

I visit San Luis Potosi a lot as I have an adopted daughter there and will go soon to take a look at these fish in the wild.

I also have 7 HRP's that I got from Mike Liu last week. His pairs were obtained from Jeff Rapps as well. They eat anything and everything :lol:

May be looking at some H. Labridens as well.

Thanks in advance and I hope someone will help me here.

OH :) Hi Juan Miguel

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:27 am

Gavin,

I certainly use the peas raw for the herviborous meal and get sure to freeze it before offering it to the fish. However, in my opinion you do not need to use the herviborus food for H. bartoni, as they are onnivorous in nature and won't normally bloat on an omnivorous diet. I have kept them for a number of years without problem at all on the omnivorous diet I prepare. In fact, it is my belief that they need some extra energy to develp that striking black and white breeding pattern. I hope this can be of help.

All tbe best
Last edited by Juan Artigas on Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

coelacanth
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Need advice on bartoni

Post by coelacanth » Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:39 am

Newfy wrote:I am afraid to feed the bartonis anything but pure spirulina as I am afraid of Bloat. I got the pure stuff from Ken's. I also got HBH 8 veggie flake (no dies)It contains some fish meal. Can I feed this to my bartoni and sleep at night :shock:
I'm onto the 3rd generation of Bartoni, never having worried about giving them anything but a good mixed diet. Nothing about their feeding behaviour makes me think they are highly herbivorous, if anything they are on the other side of omnivorous, being very effective micropredators.
Insect larvae, small crustaceans, quality dried food seems to be all they need, alhough they would never turn down the opportunity to hunt fish fry.
The larger they get the more robust their jaw structure becomes, I have one male in particular who would give any Parachromis a fair challenge.

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:01 am

There is in fact one populaion of H. bartoni which has specialized in eating snails, just as it has happened with Herichthys minckleyi in Cuatro Cienegas. I first was puzzled when I saw this behavior because there is already a snail eating cichlid living with H. bartoni, so how could a new snail eaating cichlid could be developing sympatrically? I am referring of course to H. labridens. I found out nevertheless that H. bartoni was diving deeper in the sediment and getting some smaller, softer shelled snails, not hunted by H. labridens, which feeds on the more superficially find, harder shell snails (also bigger). Of course all this has to be investigated.

All the best
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

Newfy

Post by Newfy » Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:11 am

Thanks Juan Miguel and coelacanth,

I was a little worried about their diet and am relieved to hear that other foods can be fed besides only veggie in nature.

These are an interesting fish and I am awaiting a time I can breed them sucessfully.

Thanks again for all the help.

Regards,

Gavin

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:29 am

Gavin,

You can learn a little more about Herichthys bartoni in it's profile in the Cichlid Room Companion:

http://www.cichlidae.info/gallery/species.php?s=204

Or in this article:

http://www.cichlidae.info/articles/a001.php

Good luck!
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

Newfy

Post by Newfy » Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:47 pm

Thanks Guys'

Juan Miguel, Any information you may have on the bartoni would be greatly appreciated, as you know I am also a photographer and if I had full sized images of the bartoni I would be very happy.
My e-mail has no problems with large sizes.

I will take some of mine when they are a little bigger. As a matter of fact, any pictures from anyone would be appreciated.

I love the colors of these fish at breeding time.

What months are the best months to collect some Labridens and Bartoni in the wild?

Regards,

Gavin

Regards,

Return to “Central American Cichlids”