Juan Miguel: beani

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Rick Thibert

Juan Miguel: beani

Post by Rick Thibert » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:23 am

Juan,

I live in the UK and no one here is currently keeping beani, or so it would seem. There are a number of people that are desperate to keep this fish here. Ian Jordan, who speaks with you on occasion, tells me that you are the man in the know on these fish. I understand they are very common in your location. Perhaps you could give me some insight as to where I may be able to source some???? ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

BC

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Re: Juan Miguel: beani

Post by Juan Artigas » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:35 am

Hello,

'Cichlasoma' beani are not in my location but in the Pacific coast of México from Rio Grande de Santiago to Rio Fuerte in Sinaloa under 400 m of altitude approximately. They are currently kept, and most likely soon bred by Rusty Wessel in the USA, who collected his stock from Rio Presidio in Nayarit, wonderfully colored fish. You may contact him for information. Other sources for this fish have been Dan Woodland, who is a common visitor to this forum, he has recently kept and bred this fish as well. I kept them and bred them 17 years ago, and I dont keep them anymore for a long time unfortunately I must add.
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:08 pm

Wow

So, perhaps, beani might be offered in the overseable future?

incredible :lol:

Rick Thibert

Post by Rick Thibert » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:11 pm

Thank you very much for the info Juan!! I am told that beani are very hard to raise and very sensitive. They were compared to raising Hats? Do they suffer with bloat and are they hard to care for?

I have PM'd both Rusty and Dan. Anxiously awaiting a reply....... like the night before Christmas.

I'm DESPERATE here!! Any help is appreciated.

Again, Thanks Juan!!! ;)

BC
Last edited by Rick Thibert on Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:00 pm

I personally had no more problems except coping with the particular agressiveness of this fish, my fish were wild caught. I just kept them for a couple of years as the 300 liters tank where I housed them in resulted insufficient for the larger fish.
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

Rick Thibert

Post by Rick Thibert » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:30 am

Thanks again! ;)

Why is it this fish is not established in the hobby? I understand they are ample in the wild.

BC

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:14 am

I hypothyze that as they are outside the distribution range of most cichlid species and hence require an expensive trip for one species, it turns not thrilling for most people.
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

Rick Thibert

Post by Rick Thibert » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:40 am

I also understand the area can be a bit tough on non-locals. Perhaps another reason people avoid this area (fish).

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:17 pm

That would probably be Sinaloa (without being sure), Nayarit is pretty safe.
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

Big_Kill

Post by Big_Kill » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:13 am

I am planning to visit this area in the future(within the next year or so). I would like to collect Istlanum as well as Beani. From what i can tell these two species can be collected within a few hundred miles of each other. Is this correct? I have looked at flying into Puerto Vallarta and it is not very expensive to fly there from where i am (western united states). Juan, what is the southern most range of Beani? I would like to collect the Tepic/Presidio strain. What is the northern most range of Istlanum? I am also curious about the safety of Americans visiting this area. I recently visited and collected fish in Honduras and I was a little surprised by how safe it was. I didn't feel like I was in any danger at all. Also i would like to ask what is the best time of year to collect in this region?

Rick Thibert

Post by Rick Thibert » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:17 am

I'll pay for your gas if you get me some!! LOL!!! ;)

BC

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:55 am

The southermost range for 'Cichlasoma' beani is Rio Grande de Santiago, south from that, like Rio Ameca, is 'Cichlasoma' istlanum found. In my opinion the area, as well as the rest of Mexico, is pretty safe for tourists.
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

ciclido1

Post by ciclido1 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:02 am

Jeff rapps has a wild male Beani who broke through the divider and killed his female.The 7"male looks very nice, definitely not another black/brown fish.
I would love to see some wild istlanums in the US. Istlanums are one of my favorite cichlids.

Big_Kill

Post by Big_Kill » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:43 pm

Juan Artigas wrote:The southermost range for 'Cichlasoma' beani is Rio Grande de Santiago, south from that, like Rio Ameca, is 'Cichlasoma' istlanum found. In my opinion the area, as well as the rest of Mexico, is pretty safe for tourists.
What is the distance between these two locations? I do not currently have a map of mexico and im having a hard time finding good info on the internet.

Raf.fr

Post by Raf.fr » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:10 pm

Between the southern of C. beani and the northern of C. istlanum, you can count on less than a hundred kilometres!

Big_Kill

Post by Big_Kill » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:04 pm

Raf.fr wrote:Between the southern of C. beani and the northern of C. istlanum, you can count on less than a hundred kilometres!
This is great news! Istlanum can be found right near Puerto Vallarta and Beani can be found just to the north near Tepic. Is there a lot of variation in the Istlanum from different locations? I am particularly fond of the ones pictured on this site from La Huacana. They look much different than the domesticated ones in the hobby that i have kept.

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:19 pm

Those Cichlasoma istlanum from around la Huacana were actually described as a subspecies of Cichlasoma istlanum by Fernando de Buen in 1946; Cichlasoma istlana fusca, now considered a synonym of Cichlasoma istlanum as DNA comparissons have shown no relevant differences (Uribe Alcocer et al, 1999). They are greener than those from southern and western Rio Balsas. Cichlasoma istlanum, no surprise, exhibit geographical variation.

I however have to report that in my experience those populations in the extreme of the distribution ranges are not the most colorful ones...
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

Raf.fr

Post by Raf.fr » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:24 pm

Hello every body,

Juan, have you some specific location in mind where I could find C. istlanum near La Huacana, I will probably go there this week, so if you have a spot full of C. istlanum, I would be very happy to know it!! :D

Thanks!

Big_Kill

Post by Big_Kill » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:06 pm

Juan Artigas wrote:I however have to report that in my experience those populations in the extreme of the distribution ranges are not the most colorful ones...
Are the populations found near Puerto Vallarta less colorful then? I must ask what are the extremes of the Istlanum distribution range?

ciclido1

Post by ciclido1 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:29 pm

This is the typical jeff rapps race in the states. I love this fish, but I would like to see new bloodline.
'Cichlasoma' istlanum
'Cichlasoma' istlanum

Return to “Central American Cichlids”