Cryptoheros help!

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Con-Man-Dan

Cryptoheros help!

Post by Con-Man-Dan » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:57 pm

My fish room plans are very shortly closing in on being complete. I'm gonna have a room of at least 12 30br's, possible more if I can get them, and at least 9 15gal. My goal, is to work with every available cryptoheros that we now know in the trade. What I need help with, is finding out what species AND collection point variations are around the trade right now. If possible, I would also like sources to purchase them from for my study. These little guys have always been my favorite of all cichlids, and I really want to work with every possible variation of the genus that I can get my hands on. Hopefully late next year, i'll have enough info collected to write a report on my findings, and possibly put together a presentation for my 2 local clubs.

I would prefer to post the list of known crypto's, and if you have info on where I could obtain these fish, PM me. Wild caught, F1 or F2's only, I would prefer, to keep things more natural in terms of behaivoir. Just an FYI, I'm not looking to be mass breeding to line my own pockets, I really have a deep interest in the convict and his cousins! I will probably sell a few, just to try and sustain the project, and more then anything, sell them at club auctions to help spread the genus, and of course, trade with fellow enthusiasts!

Here is what I already have, and am growing out and starting to work with

Myrnae - F not known....
HRP Rio Monga F1
Nanoluteus - these are coming soon, thank you Pam!!

Con-Man-Dan

Post by Con-Man-Dan » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:22 pm

there is also

sajica
spilirus

I'm looking at a breeding pair of Septems on aquabid, that a board member is selling. just gotta get a few auctions through and paid fo before I can purchase them.

Ken Davis
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Ken Davis » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:58 am

I have available:
spilurum Rio Blanco Gold F1
spilurum Rio teste F1 Turn black when they breed
cutteri Rio Jutiapa F1
septemfasiatus
Honduran Red Point, Rio Monga F1
cf nigrofasiatus Rio Chuloteca orange fin F1 (may be a new species they they stay very small as adults)
I have been able to get Gold sajica and nanoluteus, but don't have any right now.
I've also got some growouts of a yellow fin Panama nigrolineatus, but need to breed them first.
Have breeders, but no fry from cutteri Rio Belarie, cutteri Rio Chuloteca.
I'm going back to Honduras in May and we'll get spilurum, cutteri, nigrofasiatus and HRP, so I'll bring back a few from each river we collect in.
Last edited by Ken Davis on Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
An empty tank is a terrible thing to waste!

Ken Davis
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Ken Davis » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:24 pm

Rio Chuloteca female,

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/ ... 1173235206

Panama convicts are still 1" fry, it'll be a while on those. Ken

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:45 pm

Ken Davis wrote:I've also got some growouts of a yellow fin Panama nigrolineatus, but need to breed them first.
Where are these Crtptoheros from in Panama? Do you have pictures?

Dan

Florent
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Florent » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:42 pm

Dan Woodland wrote:
Ken Davis wrote:I've also got some growouts of a yellow fin Panama nigrolineatus, but need to breed them first.
Where are these Crtptoheros from in Panama? Do you have pictures?

Dan
maybe like this one view on this website : http://burnel.club.fr/index.html

Con-Man-Dan

Post by Con-Man-Dan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:26 am

Ken,

Trust me, I'm well aware of your auctions lol, there are a few I want to purchase very soon! The septems I mention in my original post, are the fish you're selling that I speak of!

wildwolf

Post by wildwolf » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:27 am

hi all

could you explain HRP, please??
what is it exactly?

and you talk about nigrolineatus.
it's a new sp., or it's a synonym, for you, to nigrofasciatus?
in France, we have a C. nigrofasciatus "Panama", really blue fish, like Florent's pic.
thanks you for your help.
Lau.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:55 am

I have them as well - gotten from Jörg Albricht. however, I was at Tillmann a very yellow variety from Panama.

I must say - these blue panama convicts are quite sensitive, and hard to breed. How are yours?

Ken Davis
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Ken Davis » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:26 am

I corrected my misspelling of nigrofasiatus, I had it both ways in the same post. LOL
HRP=Honduran Red Point
Dan I got them from a friend of Rusty's at the ACA. Can't remember his name right off, big fellow, Joe suggested he give me some. I believe he may have went on the same trip as you did, he told me they had yellow fins, but so far they have not shown this trait. I don't know the collection location, but I can probably find out. Ken

Con-Man-Dan

Post by Con-Man-Dan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:35 pm

Ken - you have PM ;)

You Euro guys should count your blessings on being able to get ahold of Altoflavus!! I've been searching for these fish for quite some time. I can't wait to get ahold of some of my own! Now hopefully someone will start breeding and selling these guys....or I'll make my own trip down to Panama to get them myself lol

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:43 pm

Beware a trip to Panama to get your own C. altoflavus ain't a walk in the park! We were stranded overnight after our guide lost the engine in the ocean! No food, no water, no dry clothes and worst of all no C. altoflavus. We actually lost a few fish when our boat sank overnight!

It's along story wich I'll be glad to tell over a few cold alcoholic beverages!!

Dan

Con-Man-Dan

Post by Con-Man-Dan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:50 pm

Dan - I used to work in India, I know the woes of being in 3rd world contries TOO well lol. But, I'll keep that story offer in mind at ACA this year....whats yer poison of choice eh??

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:34 pm

My poison? It's more like poisons, beer, tequila, and dark rum. :P :evil:

Unfortunately, or fortunately, it depends how you look at it. I'm 90 sure I'm not going to the ACA this year. Instead I'm going to Bolivia! :D :D

Dan

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:35 am

Dan Woodland wrote:Bolivia!
Funny: I think I'll be going there next January

Bas

Con-Man-Dan

Post by Con-Man-Dan » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:27 am

Good man! Beer and dark rums!! Too bad I wont see you at ACA though, i guess i'll have to wait to hear this great story lol

livebearium

Post by livebearium » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:50 pm

No one mentioned A. spinossimus, and I am not sure if I saw A. centrarchus.

Doran

Con-Man-Dan

Post by Con-Man-Dan » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:58 pm

this is because I, and apparently many others, subscribe to those who describe cryptoheros and archocentrus as sererate genus. and i'm sure within a few years, it will all be mixed up again lol. i remember reading somewhere not too long ago, that there might be evidence that some of the crypto's are more closely related to amphilophus then archo! but, to address your point, I DO have a single spino, and I had some centrarchus fry, but they didnt survive. i will more then likely give them a shot. the main focus of the room will be convicts and their kin, but that doesnt mean I wont keep other fish :)

livebearium

Post by livebearium » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:41 am

Dan,

These are my favorite cichlids also. In fact my nanoluteus just spawned tonight. Finally, after having them for close to two years.

Doran

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:28 am

I wish I could walk in your shoes: I've been trying to spawn them for 3 years now

Return to “Central American Cichlids”