Please help me!!

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
hereditary

Please help me!!

Post by hereditary » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:29 pm

I have had african cichlids before and saltwater fish so im not new to keeping fish but when it comes to south/central american cichlids im kind of lost so i was wondering what you guys would suggest stocking in a 75 gallon? I'm leaning towards bigger fish not any of the dwarf cichlids really but am also open to ideas

bellamor

Re: Please help me!!

Post by bellamor » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:15 pm

Is there really a difference between these type of cichlids?

dstuerpanama

Post by dstuerpanama » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:46 pm

Because South America is very large, it has a number of fish regions.
In the area west of the Andes, the waters are general alkaline and neutral, to slightly higher in pH (7+).
The Amazon region has generally softer water, in some places infused with tannins, and a low pH (4-6).
Southern South America is more sub tropical, neutral type water, and some species do best with a winter cool down.
Central American waters are often highly alkaline, high in pH (sometimes love 8).
Many South American species can be social, but many Central American species can be aggressive, very territorial and quite different than their S American cousins.
Sometimes those who try to combine South American cichlids with their Central American cousins end up with disappointing results due to aggression, and health issues when differing water conditions are out of line.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:47 am

I would most certainly not suggest combining south and central american cichlids. That being said, swordtails (CA) are a very good combination for Southern SA fishes.

The reason not to combine the cichlids is due to watervalues (CA is warm, the cichlids mostly need the warmth, the only exception being Herichthys and Nonferatu, but warm SA has soft water while CA has hard) and behaviour. Generally put, agression in CA is to get the intruder to get away, while SA fishes want a "sorry". CA's don't give that, and will be chased for an apology, and is the situaltion is the other way around, the SA saying sorry still had not moved - so the message did not come over. Let's bite harder.

This is, however, specifically for agression. Swordetails are not agressive, and are, therefore easier to combine.

TheFishGuy

Post by TheFishGuy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:53 am

Bas Pels wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:47 am
I would most certainly not suggest combining south and central american cichlids. That being said, swordtails (CA) are a very good combination for Southern SA fishes.

The reason not to combine the cichlids is due to watervalues (CA is warm, the cichlids mostly need the warmth, the only exception being Herichthys and Nonferatu, but warm SA has soft water while CA has hard) and behaviour. Generally put, agression in CA is to get the intruder to get away, while SA fishes want a "sorry". CA's don't give that, and will be chased for an apology, and is the situaltion is the other way around, the SA saying sorry still had not moved - so the message did not come over. Let's bite harder.

This is, however, specifically for agression. Swordetails are not agressive, and are, therefore easier to combine.
If you’re dealing with wild fish I agree 100%. Typically most hobbyists aren’t so all the rules change. I’ve been keeping a mix of New world cichlids together very successfully for well over 30 years. People will also say you can’t keep discus with other South American cichlids. I keep 13 with numerous other species successfully. Tank raised fish are a completely different animal than wild caught. Especially when considering cichlids are the most adaptable creatures on the planet!

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:22 pm

Adaptable, but at what cost for the fish?

Yes, if you keep a Vieja melanurus in a Rio Negro tank, it will not die immediately. But it will lack calcium, and it will have far too short life.

However, if you put a discus in water for Vieja, I'm afraid it will last a week or so.

I got a 13 footer, and I'm rather certain I could combine discus with Satanoperca in that tank. In nature they are found together. it's easy, just sand on the left half, and wood on the right. The fishes will not meet, they will not harm each other. But is this a good idea for a 6 footer? Obviously not.

As I wrote the water is different AND the fishes don't understand each other

Return to “Central American Cichlids”