“Jack Dempsey” Variants & Rocio Questions

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
jfazande

Post by jfazande » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:55 pm

I recently rescued what I believe to be Rocio octofacsiata. I haven’t kept this species for about 20 years. I started researching the fish and discovered that there are two new “Jack Dempsey” type species. After searching the forum, I discovered that the resident experts question the validity of having three separate species. I just wanted to see where everyone stands on the topic. From my unscientific eye, they seem to be color/location variants more so than separate species. Just curious about what the experts think.

Jeff
Currently Keeping:

Cichlids

Amatitlania nigrofasciatus
exLamprologus brevis
Trichromis salvini
Rocio octofasciatus

Non-Cichlid

Beta splendens

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: “Jack Dempsey” Variants & Rocio Questions

Post by Philippe Burnel » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:14 am

From my unscientific eye, they seem to be color/location variants more so than separate species
I've nothing to add....
Wait, I think that Juan Miguel is writing about that

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:34 am

As far as I know there are only 4 species. This explains differences.

http://www.fishbase.org/identification ... enus=Rocio

I am wondering how many have kept gemmata or spinosissimia. I have read about a few people keeping spinosissimia, but it’s a really rare fish in the hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darrell Ullisch

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:17 am

If you look closer at your link, you will see that there are 4 species. Edit: I see you corrected your post! (I did not realize that spinosissima was moved to Rocio, but apparently I missed that one.) It is one that would have to remain as a distinct species, the other three all look generally like fish that the hobby would call Jack Dempsey. It has been in the hobby occasionally, but they are very delicate and breeding is not as easy as one would expect. I had a pair lay eggs once, but they were unable to defend them against tankmates. I also got some fry in a trade with a friend who did breed them successfully, but they did not grow well for me, and I lost them.

As you can see by my avatar, it is one of my favorite fish. I would love another opportunity to work with them, but they don't seem to be available at this time.
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:49 am

Apparently I'm not the only one who has missed spinossissimus going to Rocio. I got to admit, spinossisimus does look remacably like young octos

Return to “Central American Cichlids”