Breeding a lil Red Texas son of a gun

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
easywolf31

Breeding a lil Red Texas son of a gun

Post by easywolf31 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:46 pm

I picked up this Red Texas, or saved him rather, from a chain pet store that barely takes care of their fish, really lazy looking people just walking around besides 2 girls. Anyhow, almost all of them had hole in the head probably due to malnutrition or lack of tank maintenance. I've had him on Metroplex for the past 2 weeks and he is looking Great!

Now I have a lone Green Texas Cichlid, pretty much about the same size, should I try and put her together with the Red Texas in the 60 Gallon Long tank or get a Red Texas from the same store and treat her as well. Perhaps put both females in together and see which one he gets along with, hopefully that is. First time I seen Red Texas's by the way. I should go get one more and save her at the same time.

Question is, will the Male Red Texas be infertile since he is a hybrid? Or impossible to tell just like that. Here is a picture, this guy makes such a nice pet, love his personality lol.
Red Texas1.jpg
145G G. Mobas, J. Marlieris, J. Marksmithis, Leleupis
140G Blue Dolphins, Kigomas, Y. Labs, J. Dickfieldis, Olivaceous, Daffodil
125G P. Bleekeris, Red & Green Texas
75G Green Terrors
60G Growouts
60G Brichardis
55G Apistos
55G Rams
45G Fry

Bas Pels

Re: Breeding a lil Red Texas son of a gun

Post by Bas Pels » Thu May 18, 2017 2:23 am

If only hybrid central american cichlids were infertile. All species can interbreed, and the offspring is vertile - but as some species prey on others, it might be hard to get them to breed. But if they would breed, the offspring would be fertile. And able to hydridise even further

Still, it is not desired to produce hybrids. Or breed with them

CA cichlid dude

Re: Breeding a lil Red Texas son of a gun

Post by CA cichlid dude » Thu May 18, 2017 7:00 am

Bas Pels wrote:If only hybrid central american cichlids were infertile. All species can interbreed, and the offspring is vertile - but as some species prey on others, it might be hard to get them to breed. But if they would breed, the offspring would be fertile. And able to hydridise even further

Still, it is not desired to produce hybrids. Or breed with them
I agree. I would separate not to allow it to even happen in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Central American Cichlids”