Best tank size for medium centrals

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
ayeo77

Best tank size for medium centrals

Post by ayeo77 » Fri May 05, 2017 1:01 pm

Hi all

Will there be any difference for my central cichlids stock numbers, if I go for either one of these:

7 ft 8" tank by 3ft 6"
Or
8ft by 3ft

Essentially I'm asking if it matters to stock size taking the extra bit from the length to the depth?

Bas Pels

Re: Best tank size for medium centrals

Post by Bas Pels » Fri May 05, 2017 2:37 pm

Generally speaking, for cantrals you would want volume, and length

whether a tank is 60 or 70 cm from front to back does not matter much - that is 2 feet of 2 feet 4

hawever, I got a tank which is 100 cm (3 feet 4) from front to back, and I've this does allow territories to be placed behind each other. Or, when my Parachromis loissellei had fry, and wanted to swim from left to right (in this tan all fry were born left, more precicely in the second quarter from left) - the other fishes could swim unhindered behind the moving territory

Therefore, a tank over 3 feet from front to back is rather valuable

So 7 feet 8 * 3 feet 6 woud have my preference. But is 8 feet long really impossible??? :lol:

ayeo77

Post by ayeo77 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:20 pm

Hi Bas,

Yes, its purely to do with the background im using and i dont want a gap:)

Im planning on having two nics, two archocentrus, two septemfasciatus, 10 astyanax tetras, and a shoal of Rostratus - around 6-8.

What you think with the change in dimisenions of tank, will this be ok still? Or maybe theres still scope for others also?

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sat May 06, 2017 2:32 am

With these fish - I once had a tank centered around rostratus too, the most beautifull tank I ever had but then? What is more beautifull tha a rostratus? The only thing I can think of is 2 rostratus - the territories will not be overly large.

Both tanks are large enough for the "behind" option. So I would go for the most water. Which is the same tank :)

I will be envying you this tank - my rostratus (I had 10) died after some 8 years enjoyment. Personally, I think your tank is large enough for a larger school of rostratus - 10 or so. And, if it was my tank, I think I would replace the Astyanax for a wild type sworttail. But than, it is not ;)

ayeo77

Post by ayeo77 » Sat May 06, 2017 2:48 am

Swordtails are beautiful but not biotope correct;)

The region I base the tank is the tributaries of lake Nicuragua like San Juan basin or Buen suceso ometepe.

Therefore the dither fish are either astyanax, or Alfaro culratus, or some forms of poecila sp. unless you know of something else I do not :)

Thanks for your help!!!

ayeo77

Post by ayeo77 » Sat May 06, 2017 1:51 pm

Hi Bas,

Are there any biotope correct fish you recommend for this setup?

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sun May 07, 2017 2:46 am

Apart from Alfaro (there are 3 species, the other 2 are rarer and harder to find) and Poecilia, there are a few other life berers, which are, however, too small for this community.

So no, I cannot give further biotope correct species

Return to “Central American Cichlids”