Tank stocking levels

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
ayeo77

Tank stocking levels

Post by ayeo77 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi all, am looking to upgrade to a tank of 8 foot long x 3 foot wide x 27 inch high.

I currently have the following fish:

8 astyanax aeneus
2 nics (female and male)
1 archocentrus centrarchus male
1 cryptheros septemfasciatus
1 A Rostratus

When I upgrade I'd like to add

1 Black belt cichlid
More rostratus to make shoal
1 A Alfari or longimanus
Livebearers shoal
Maybe convicts

Am I expecting too much or is this possible in such a tank?

Bacon

Re: Tank stocking levels

Post by Bacon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:21 pm

Hi,
You are on your way to having a great tank set up. I have one close to same dimensions, 8' x 30" x 30". 375- U.S. gallons.
Current stock is;
5 astyanax aeneus
2 synspillum ( male and female)
2 rocio octofasciata (male and female)
3 thorichthys meeki
2 rhamdia sp. catfish
11 poecillia latipinna
I am going to remove the meeki, because of aggression, as the two pairs of larger cichlids are demanding more space and still growing(currently 5-7").
Based on your current stock, I would add only the shoal of livebearers and additional septemfasciatus. I like the idea of the Black belt (had them before)
but with the size they get along with the potential size of the Nics, Rostratus, and Centrarchus , you'll probably have overcrowding and aggression issues. If all the cichlids are small at the start, you may have peace for awhile, but as they grow and pair off, the aggression occurs and you could lose some. Hopefully, if you attempt the entire stock additions you'll be able to re-home any fish that don't work out. Good luck, I've had a great time with my jumbo tank.
Bacon

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:00 am

I would stick to 1 school - either Astyanax or lifebearers, but that school can easily have 20 fishes

Starting with a pair of nicaraguensae, 1 centrarchus (m) and 1 rostratus, I would add 10 rostratus, and a female centrarchus. not much more, and certainly not 1 alfari or 1 longimanus, as these are also best kept in a group.

A longimanus is further the closest relative of rostratus - that is, there is a risk of hybrids, but a greater risk of a mixed group, which is not nice to look at (it looks messy)

Eventually, you could give the septem a mate. Sexing is easy - the black spot in the dorsal is a certain female, and they pair just as easy

ayeo77

Post by ayeo77 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:18 pm

Thats great Bas, very helpful.

Would you say that i could likewise go with a school of alfari or logimanus without any rostratus?

Also what about ultimately adding a Vieja Maculiadia (black belt) or would that be too much?

Finally, as an alternative to Septems, would wild convicts from the san juan basin work as a pair?

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:56 pm

@ lonigmanus/alfari - You could, but I happen to thin, the rostratus is, by far, much more ppretty than any other cichlid - so I would wonder why

@ maculicauda - I am afraid it / they would dominate the tank too much. I would combine Vieja with Amphilophus, parachromis - a way other tank

@ convict - you could, but I would not.

Once I had convicts in my 4 meter (13 feet) tank, ant they bred like rabbits. Much of the fry styed alife, and I ended up with 20 pairs or more. Then I decided to step in, I drained the tank and remouved them all

Septemfasciatus grow slower, they are not that smart, they breed less - that is. fry will have less chanses of surviving, and if they do, they will not grow into a plaque. Which is a good thing

But - you certainly could swap septemfasciatus for convicts

ayeo77

Post by ayeo77 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:52 pm

Very helpful again, thanks.

One more thing about the rostratus shoal...

What ratio male and female should it be for that size of group?

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:41 am

ideally you have 50 % - 50 %

BUT sexing them @ 5 cm (2 inches) is nearly impossible. I think my school of 11 had 4 females - which was not a problem

Andy

Post by Andy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:16 pm

Good luck finding Rostratum, I cannot find any of the quality I would like in the UK

Regards

Andy

Return to “Central American Cichlids”