Breeding Herichthys Deppii

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
CA cichlid dude

Breeding Herichthys Deppii

Post by CA cichlid dude » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:02 am

I believe I have a male and a female, and would like to get them to spawn.
But I am not 100% sure on the sex. Can anyone confirm if I do have a male and female?
Also how hard are they to breed? Do they need certain water temps?

Thanks,

Steve

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016061 ... de8877.jpg[/IMG][IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016061 ... 9ff63c.jpg[/IMG][IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016061 ... f85276.jpg[/IMG][IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016061 ... 2506c6.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lisachromis
Administrator

Re: Breeding Herichthys Deppii

Post by Lisachromis » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:29 pm

Steve,

I believe you have to upload the images to the forum.

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:38 pm

Lisachromis wrote:Steve,

I believe you have to upload the images to the forum.
Thanks for the reply. You can't see them though? I posted this through Tapatalk, and some people have told me somethings don't work.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:44 pm

Don't see any pic, I only see a bunch of letter, not in the shape of a fish, let alone a H deppi

@ breeding deppi, the species is, as you might know, rather agressive. That will imply that you better
a) use a large tank, larger than you would assume one would need and
b) you better put it full with decoration, that is hiding places. Ideally you create 2 areas which are out of the line of sight from each other. That way, the fish can safely start to feel at home, and try and fiind each other.

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:02 pm

Bas Pels wrote:Don't see any pic, I only see a bunch of letter, not in the shape of a fish, let alone a H deppi

@ breeding deppi, the species is, as you might know, rather agressive. That will imply that you better
a) use a large tank, larger than you would assume one would need and
b) you better put it full with decoration, that is hiding places. Ideally you create 2 areas which are out of the line of sight from each other. That way, the fish can safely start to feel at home, and try and fiind each other.
Thanks Bas, will I need a divider too?

I have kept a solo male deppii before, and he was extremely aggressive. That was a tank raised fish (many generations) vs. these fish are F1. The F1 certainly seem more skittish.
They are about 3" right now and would they be ok in a 150g with t. Salvini?
Can you see these pics?

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016061 ... 1477fd.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016061 ... 576bf5.jpg[/IMG]

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:17 am

I'm not a fan of deviders, as these fall over, but more importantly, fish need to meed in oreder to breed. I know some people use a devider, and the fish will breed near it, enabling the male to fertilize the eggs. Still, I prefer the natural way

150 gallon, US Gallon, is some 550 liters. Frankly, this is the size I was thinking of for a pair of deppi.

Hovever, T salvini might be a good dither, especially if you put in say 3 or 4 males. Young males, that is. They are slender and often hidden, so I dson't expect them to be torn apart during the breeding. However T salvini is a childeater, they specialize in feeding on fry from other cichlids. Therefore T salvini should be remouved when the fry starts swimming

@ pics, no, I can't see them.

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:45 am

Bas Pels wrote:I'm not a fan of deviders, as these fall over, but more importantly, fish need to meed in oreder to breed. I know some people use a devider, and the fish will breed near it, enabling the male to fertilize the eggs. Still, I prefer the natural way

150 gallon, US Gallon, is some 550 liters. Frankly, this is the size I was thinking of for a pair of deppi.

Hovever, T salvini might be a good dither, especially if you put in say 3 or 4 males. Young males, that is. They are slender and often hidden, so I dson't expect them to be torn apart during the breeding. However T salvini is a childeater, they specialize in feeding on fry from other cichlids. Therefore T salvini should be remouved when the fry starts swimming

@ pics, no, I can't see them.
Thanks Bas Image

I don't like dividers either, but mainly because of how they look. The tank is 6'x18". I can always remove fry to another tank to avoid predation.

Back to sexing these I am a bit confused.

Fish 1 has a more sloping head, taller body, but has a blue/black blotch on the dorsal fin. This is the larger one.

Fish 2 has a more slender body, and pointier head. This one doesn't have a blotch on the dorsal.

Do you think I have a male and female? I wish I could post a pic.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:48 pm

@ posting pics, theeasiest way to do it is start with an account on, for example, photobucket.com. It's free, and you can keep your pics there for an eternety, my account is over 10 years old, and the pictures are still there. I never deleted them and neither dit the website

on this account you can place your pictures, and than you place the [img ] [/img ] part in the posting (remouve the spaces, I needed to put them in the code,in order to have the posting accepted)

than you will see yourself the picture is placed

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:01 am

Ok, things have changed. I now do see I have a male and female. Yesterday they started showing breeding dress, but woke up to find unfertilized eggs. The male however had the female in the upper corner of the tank. That was a 36g bowfront as i bought the fish at 2" and wanted to grow them out before adding to the 150g. So I moved the male to the 150g since he is 3" now. I am going to thin out the stock in the 150g. Some will be sold or donated and some will go to other tanks.
My question is did I do the right thing and how or should I introduce the female to the 150g?

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:44 pm

actually, you had better mouved the female

chichlids are territorial, which implies that putting the female with the male in the big tank, she will be trespassing, and he will be on guard. Further it has advantages if she knows the way better than he does

Had you remouved the female, she would have been on guard, but unable to do serious damage, after all, he is te strongest.

You might consider swapping them, alternatively, the earlies discussed devider will have to come in play.

Putting in the devider, you can make a safe place for the female / which she can sondier hers, but more importantly, where she know her way, while the male does not. That is, in case of any agression, she will be able to run, fast, while the male wioll have to follow more carefully, as he does not know the way, will have to keep track of any way out, prevent getting stuck and so on.

If the female is significantly smaller than the male, you best introduce hidingplaces she can enter and he cannot. If not, too bad

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Thanks Bas!

I can swap them back. The female is slight smaller. Luckily both are in good shape and caught it in time.
I think while sexually mature, they aren't ready. In my experience with other species, the first spawning attempt is always the trickiest.

Return to “Central American Cichlids”