Alarming interest in hybrids

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
CA cichlid dude

Alarming interest in hybrids

Post by CA cichlid dude » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:25 pm

I love fish in their natural form and behavior. It really seems like many people are creating more and more hybrids in the hobby. It is reminding me of what has happened with livebearers. In the U.S. It's very difficult to find any wild type of livebearer these days.
Do you think this will happen w/ CA cichlids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piotr Koba
CRC contributor

Re: Alarming interest in hybrids

Post by Piotr Koba » Tue May 03, 2016 5:10 pm

People often get fascinated by the novelties, but I have the feeling (maybe naive?) that along with the everpresent love for ecology, ecofriendliness more people will get back to the natural forms of fishes.

That being said, wild livebearers have always been the cup of tea of their fanatics, they are simply not colorful enough to interest breeders and average fishkeeper (not to be mistaken for hobbyist in this sense). Although when I look at my wild form X. helleri male I think that those people just do not know what they miss when keeping hybrids...
Cheers
Piotr

dogofwar

Post by dogofwar » Sat May 07, 2016 7:44 pm

As with wild-type livebearers, it's up to wild-type cichlid enthusiasts to keep known-provenance wild-type stock in the hobby.

Matt

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Fri May 27, 2016 11:45 am

dogofwar wrote:As with wild-type livebearers, it's up to wild-type cichlid enthusiasts to keep known-provenance wild-type stock in the hobby.

Matt
I agree. I guess you just have make sure you buy your fish from a reputable source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smitty

Post by smitty » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:52 pm

This was an interesting post. I have never been enthused or impressed with hybrids. Matter of fact I never thought for 1 second that a hybrid ever compared to what nature has given to mankind. I also don't think that mankind has been kind to nature. We know many things come down to dollars and cents. As long as there are those that have a desire for hybrids they will always be a part of the market. For many of us it does not mean they have to be a part of the hobby. When I look at the Parrot Fish and the demand for them I knew then that more were to come and anything is possible. Sad!
150gal- Dovi's; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260
180gal- Managuense; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; FX5
210gal- Argta,Bifsct,Fnstrtus,Maculcda,Regani,Syns,Zntus; 4 AC P.Filters; 2 AC P.Hds; Eheim 2250,2262; FX5

Return to “Central American Cichlids”