Thorichthys species tank.

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
puddleglum

Thorichthys species tank.

Post by puddleglum » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:46 am

Hello,

About ten years ago, I got some excellent advice here from Juan Miguel and others and set up a 75 gallon tank with a group of 12 Thorichthys sp. "Mixteco Blue". At the time, the Mixteco Blue, Green, and Gold were very popular and easy to find. Due to life changes, I had to sell the fish and the tank. I just got a 75 gallon, and am thinking about a Thorichthys group for it again.

I am planning on lots of fine sand, with some groups of rocks and anubias. I know some of the helleri complex need a lower temp than other types, so I will make sure to check here with the experts to get my temp right for whichever species I get. I will be feeding primarily NLS 1mm sinking pellets, along with occasional live and frozen foods. My water is hard and has a pH of around 8 out of the tap. I plan to do a fishless cycle so I can add the Thorichthys, and some green swordtails for dithers, all at once.

I haven't seen any signs on the web of the helleri type Thorichthys being offered anymore. All I am finding are the larger, more aggressive T. meeki, T. passions, and T. maculipinnis/ellioti. Is anyone still breeding the smaller, slightly less aggressive helleri complex? Have they lost their popularity?

I would prefer one of the smaller species, but if I did get the larger T. passiones, or T. maculipinnis/ellioti, how many could I keep in my tank? It is 48"x18"x21" - 75 gallons; about 120x45x50cm - 280 liters.

Thank you,
AZ

batman

Re: Thorichthys species tank.

Post by batman » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:55 am

Hi

I have a group of thorichthys helleri laguna catazaja.
They are lovely fish.
If you join the eacg forum you may be able to source some.

busterny

Post by busterny » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:30 pm

What is the eacg forum?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

batman

Post by batman » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:14 pm

Sorry I was a bit vague.It's the east anglia cichlid group.
They are a UK group and a great forum if you are into central american cichlids.

busterny

Post by busterny » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:10 am

Thank you. I will check them out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Meeki67

Post by Meeki67 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:16 am

puddleglum wrote: ... Is anyone still breeding the smaller, slightly less aggressive helleri complex? Have they lost their popularity?

Forget the notion of smaller for T. helleri. I never seen clasification of agressivity for Thorichthys. The one you mention are perhaps not the most agressive. It depend of the size of your tank.

In France, we have lot of young Thorichthys and in the T. helleri complexe we have :
- rio pichucalco (Grijalva drainage)
- Laguna catazara
- rio chacamax (not sure)

Return to “Central American Cichlids”