Impressions from recent trips

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
michi tobler
CichlidRoom Expert

Impressions from recent trips

Post by michi tobler » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:08 pm

Hi all
I used to share pictures from recent collection trips here on a regular basis. For some reason, that stopped once I got a real job (I wonder why). In any case, we had some fun trips to Mexico and Costa Rica this year, and I thought some of you may be interested in some of our catches. There are a lot of poeciliids, but there are also some cichlids (usually towards the back of each album).

Costa Rica: http://www.sulfide-life.info/mtobler/fi ... -rica-2015
Tabasco & Chiapas: http://www.sulfide-life.info/mtobler/fi ... exico-2015
Hidalgo and San Louis Potosi: http://www.sulfide-life.info/mtobler/fi ... steca-2015

Cheers, Michi
Humans are not the pinnacle of evolutionary progress but only an aberrant side branch of fish evolution - Moyle

Website

Rico Morgenstern
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Impressions from recent trips

Post by Rico Morgenstern » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:09 am

Wonderful, thanks for sharing Michi! The variability of Poecilia spp. is striking, as are the differences between the two A. longimanus.

Just a few corrections: what you have identified with query as Astatheros rhytisma is a nice female of A. bussingi, and I doubt the identification of Herichthys deppii, for the fish lacks the typical red markings and has only five anal spines, which is rarely the case in that species. Your fish looks more like a variant of H. carpintis. Where exactly have you collected it?

Darrell Ullisch

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:00 pm

Michi, Amazing photos, as usual. I noticed that the fish you call Rivulus isthmensis more closely resembles R. rubripunctatus. A few people think this name is a synonym for isthmensis, but that is not the consensus opinion.

Also wondering if the Costa Rican R. fuscolineatus have bioluminescent eyes like the Panamanian population I had about 20 years ago. Not just reflective, but actually visible in complete darkness.
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

Piotr Koba
CRC contributor

Post by Piotr Koba » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:21 am

Beautiful, especially Costa Rica! Could you tell us the localities of Astatheros species you have on the photos from CR? And, I wonder how large were those adult males of Poecilia gilli?

Thanks for posting those pictures!
Cheers
Piotr

zenins

Post by zenins » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:31 pm

Thank you for posting those awesome photos :)

It is always great to see wild caught fish and their biotope :D

michi tobler
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by michi tobler » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:47 pm

Hi everbody
Thanks for all the feedback and questions.

Rico, are you sure about that Astatheros female? I find it a very odd fish. The lack of black spotting really doesn't with with A. bussingi. Note that this was the only unspotted individual that we caught at this site, and A. rhytisma has been reported from the same locality (according to Bussing). Also, I share your doubts about the H. deppii identification. This is a specimen from the Tuxpan drainage. I merely followed Miller here, who discussed the Tuxpan fish along with H. deppii and not H. carpintis (he notes that they likely represent undescribed species).

Darrell, thanks for the hints on all the Rivulus. I have no clue about whether the R. fuscolineatus eye were glowing in the dark. The reason that picture is so bad was that my own eye just had a close encounter with formalin. I can't remember a whole lot from that site other than being in pain....

Piotr, the A. bussingi and the weird Astatheros female that Rico mentioned were all collected from tributaries to the Rio Sixaola around Bribri (right at the boarder to Panama). The A. alfari pictures was collected in the Rio Sapoa (tributary to Lake Nicaragua in the far northwest of the country) and the male in a stream north of La Fortuna. This species is really common throughout the northern part of the country. As for the P. gilliii (I am sure that most of these are actually not P. gillii but some other species of Poecilia), the maximum size varied tremendously across localities. Some of the nicer males pictures reaches up to 8 centimeters though.

Cheers, Michi
Humans are not the pinnacle of evolutionary progress but only an aberrant side branch of fish evolution - Moyle

Website

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:01 am

The P gilli looked - to my unschooled eye - like P mexicanus - I always thought that the dotted markings are a definition for P mexicanus. Apparently not.

What other Poecilia species can have such a dress?

Rico Morgenstern
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Rico Morgenstern » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:24 am

michi tobler wrote:Rico, are you sure about that Astatheros female? I find it a very odd fish. The lack of black spotting really doesn't with with A. bussingi. Note that this was the only unspotted individual that we caught at this site, and A. rhytisma has been reported from the same locality (according to Bussing)
The black spots are confined to males of A. bussingi according to the original description, which is unfortunately very short and offers few details beyond the diagnosis. Various aquarium photos indicate that females may or may not have those spots, but if present they are always much reduced (in both extension and intensity) as compared with males. The same has been already observed by Lopéz (1983), who compared A. bussingi (then considered a geographical race of A. alfari) in some detail with A. rhytisma. Females of the latter species lack the black dorsal blotch which is so prominent in your fish, and they show a completely different color pattern dominated by richly developed iridescent blue markings on head and body, see the original description for further details:

http://www.ots.ac.cr/rbt/attachments/vo ... ytisma.pdf

A. rhytisma seems to be very rare in its natural habitat. Both this species and A. bussingi occur also in Western Panama. If and how they differ ecologically is not known; data in Bussing's book (1998) indicate a wider range of habitats and a more extended vertical distribution for the latter.

michi tobler
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by michi tobler » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:35 am

Thanks, Rico! I didn't know that. We caught several females with spots, hence, my suspicion that it was A. rhytisma.

Website

Return to “Central American Cichlids”