CA tank stocking question and pics

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
henknaert

CA tank stocking question and pics

Post by henknaert » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:23 am

Hi,

I have a 100 gallon tank with plenty of filtration currently stocked with a pair of H. Nicaraguensis, 5 T. Sieboldii, and 1 T. Ellioti. The Thorichthys Ellioti are not often available where I live, but currently some are available so would love to add some....Would this be still feasible?
Water parameters are good, I change out about 30% of the water weekly, and haven't gotten nitrate readings above 10. So the stocking is mostly a space related question here I guess. Anyone some input? Some pics attached of tank and some of the current inhabitants.
tank1.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
5c.jpg
4c.jpg
2c.jpg
1c.jpg
Cheers

Piotr Koba
CRC contributor

Re: CA tank stocking question and pics

Post by Piotr Koba » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:12 pm

You will need more hiding places and break up the bottom of the tank into numerous territories (i.e. add many rocks and wood) because now when a pair spawns the rest of the fish in the tank will have tought times surviving this. Especially if spawning pair is sieboldii ;) I am not really sure that you can add any further fishes, but with Central American cichlids every tank has its own rules... but do so at the same time when you add more furniture there. Then both new fish and the old ones will have to get accustomed to new surroundings.
Cheers
Piotr

Norcal_Cichlid

Post by Norcal_Cichlid » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:14 pm

If those Sieboldi spawn...watch out!
Current stock-2 F1 Breeding pairs of Chuco Micropthalmus, F1 Theraps Lentiginosum (2 breeding pairs), Theraps Coeruleus (1 breeding pair), 7 5-8" F0 Ornatum "Rio Choco", 2 Beani "White" and about 400 Micropthalmus fry!

henknaert

Post by henknaert » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:25 pm

Thanks for your input. Actually sometimes I wonder if I have an all female group. The female dominant fish (the one in breeding dress) is the largest fish and in the 14 months I have them no other fish has surpassed her in growth. I would think male fish would likely have caught up in growth by now? The dominant female is now about 15cm, and all the others are slight to considerably smaller, depending on the individual. Enclosed some photos of two other fish (2 pics of each fish), anyone who can help me sex these?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Return to “Central American Cichlids”