Herichthys bartoni first successful spawning

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Piotr Koba
CRC contributor

Herichthys bartoni first successful spawning

Post by Piotr Koba » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:17 pm

Or Nosferatu, if you will. ;)

I've been keeping 8 specimens in a 120 gal. tank since October. Obviously got them in Duisburg. It miraculously turned out I've got 3 females and 5 males (and by saying miraculously, I do mean it: I usually get much less even sex ratio in my cichlids). The first spawning took place as soon as December, but this (and subsequent three) were unsucessful: the dominant male spawned with all the available females, but always ate the eggs soon after spawning, not to mention he also beat his partners. But this time, 5th of the male and 2nd or 3rd of the female - the bond of the pair persisted, and so the fry reached freeswimming stage on April 1st (good date, eh?). Now the batch, being somethig like 80 or 100-strong, is being led though their tank, and since the parents' cooperation is probably the best I've seen in cichlids to date, I am not planning to net them too soon.

I am also surprised how "reasonably aggressive" these fish are. I imagined that shortly after spawning the male would turn into a bloodthirsty killing machine, but in fact, all he does is chasing the other (as of today forming, shortly before spawning) pair, and that is it. Other fishes, unless gettin too close to fry, remain untouched. Not to mention my small group of Astyanax mexicanus, which sometimes get as close as 5 inches to the flock, and not even think having a bite on one or two, neither the parents attack them (okay, once or twice a day cichlid pair chase them, but more "just in case", than to prevent any apparent attack on fry).

Fry, given the amount of biocover, algae and detritus in the tank, do not require much of a feeding from me. I give them crushed spirulina flakes or dried artemia larvae once or twice a day, and that's it. , and this is one another reason that I haven't siphoned them out so far. Maybe their growth rate is slower than in a separate tank with loads of food and frequent water changes, but I am no professional breeder and for me the pinnacle of this hobby is the opportunity to observe a pair leading their (very obedient) school of fry. And if the parent fish are so brilliantly colored as H. bartoni, it does not get any better, does it? :)

Cheers

Cheers
Piotr

henknaert

Re: Herichthys bartoni first successful spawning

Post by henknaert » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:59 am

Very nice....

Piotr Koba
CRC contributor

Post by Piotr Koba » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:20 am

Thanks,

Well the male has beaten the female, but he nevertheless cares for the fry very properly to say the least. I think the only danger for the fry is the second pair that will spawn shortly. We shall see what comes next. Incredible fish!
bartoni samiec i mlode.jpg
Cheers
Piotr

Norcal_Cichlid

Post by Norcal_Cichlid » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:08 am

Great work, very nice looking pair.
Current stock-2 F1 Breeding pairs of Chuco Micropthalmus, F1 Theraps Lentiginosum (2 breeding pairs), Theraps Coeruleus (1 breeding pair), 7 5-8" F0 Ornatum "Rio Choco", 2 Beani "White" and about 400 Micropthalmus fry!

Return to “Central American Cichlids”