Paraneetroplus breidohri: A Strong Case For Keeping CAs

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Jim Cumming

Paraneetroplus breidohri: A Strong Case For Keeping CAs

Post by Jim Cumming » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:56 pm

These 'breidohri' which I tossed into my Madagascan cichlid tank as "snacks", managed to escape the "jaws of death" and have grown up into this handsome couple. They are presently ruling this 180G tank, keeping fourteen Madagascan cichlids at bay, along with a third, male breidohri. This species has bred for me more times than I can remember but this pair is special in that they weren't supposed to be here. But here they are, doing what they do best, dynamically protecting their young as most CA cichlid parents do. But they are as close to perfect as I have ever seen and make an incredibly strong case for any cichlid keeper to "go" with Central American cichlids.
http://youtu.be/OGEYAEnXE74
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Sandman

Re: Paraneetroplus breidohri: A Strong Case For Keeping CAs

Post by Sandman » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:42 pm

That is one of the best videos I have seen on CRC ! Very clear and well done. I love the fish. Perhaps the odds of them growing up and making a pair against those odds makes their pair bond that much better ? A gorgeous pair of cichlids.

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:08 pm

Sandman wrote:That is one of the best videos I have seen on CRC ! Very clear and well done. I love the fish. Perhaps the odds of them growing up and making a pair against those odds makes their pair bond that much better ? A gorgeous pair of cichlids.
Thank you Sandman. I appreciate your comments.
Jim
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Piotr Koba
CRC contributor

Post by Piotr Koba » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:09 am

They look pretty good for a snack I must say :lol: Beautiful fish.

I can see you are changing the tank furniture a bit? If memory serves me well you used much mor plastic plants and pots. Turn for more natural looks or this is just this tank?
Cheers
Piotr

Don Danko
OCA member

Post by Don Danko » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:20 am

Very nice video of an old favorite. Thanks for posting!
Don
Like the Ohio Cichlid Association on Facebook!

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:58 pm

Don Danko wrote:Very nice video of an old favorite. Thanks for posting!
Don
Thanks Don. One of these days I'll have to get out to your OCA Extravaganza. I 'm sure I personally haven't seen you for the better part of 25 years. Time for a reacquaintance.
Piotr Koba wrote:They look pretty good for a snack I must say :lol: Beautiful fish.

I can see you are changing the tank furniture a bit? If memory serves me well you used much mor plastic plants and pots. Turn for more natural looks or this is just this tank?
Thanks Piotr, yes it's just this tank. Not sure why I pulled the plants a while back but there are no pots in this one because it's an attempt at a natural biotope (one of my few 'show tanks'). So just gravel substrate, rocks and driftwood.
- Albert Einstein

Don Danko
OCA member

Post by Don Danko » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:32 am

Would be great to see you there, Jim!
Regards,
Don
Like the Ohio Cichlid Association on Facebook!

Return to “Central American Cichlids”