Planning a Riparium for CA Cichlids

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Kev_M

Planning a Riparium for CA Cichlids

Post by Kev_M » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:21 pm

I have a 4'x2'x2' tank that I've recently set up as a riparium. The tank will be filled to around 12"-14" high. I was thinking that I could put the tank's decent footprint of 4'x2' to good use by having a group of Thorichthys meeki in there. The last time I kept them (a long time ago), all of the sources I could find said they were best kept in pairs. However, since mulling over this idea I've come across quite a bit of talk that they're best kept in groups. I've read some excerpts from talks Rusty Wessel has given, where he has explained that he keeps them in very dense groups indeed. What I'd like to know is: how many would you experienced T. meeki keepers shoot for in this size tank?

The only plants that will be used under the water are various Anubias spp. and Microsorum spp. If I'm unable to source/keep a group of T. meeki, I had also considered keeping a pair of Cryptoheros sajica or Amatitlania nigrofasciatus. The main thing putting me off keeping either of those species is I'm worried about them wrecking the plants. Do any of you have experience of keeping hardy plants attached to wood/stone in a tank with a breeding pair of these cichlids?

Bas Pels

Re: Planning a Riparium for CA Cichlids

Post by Bas Pels » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:52 am

Actually, I don't think that a riparium tank with a 4 * 2 feet footprint can have a fish part with a 4 * 2 feet footprint - because a riparium always contains a piece of land.

After all, riparium means tank for a coastal area - that is land, water and the part in between.

A 4 * 1.5 feet fish part is more likely, and in such a tank one could try 6 Torichthys - but I'm not certain it would work.

You could swap the meeki for Herotilapia multispinosa, a yellow fish, which is quite mellow. 6 of them in this tank will work

Kev_M

Post by Kev_M » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:48 pm

Bas Pels wrote:Actually, I don't think that a riparium tank with a 4 * 2 feet footprint can have a fish part with a 4 * 2 feet footprint - because a riparium always contains a piece of land.

After all, riparium means tank for a coastal area - that is land, water and the part in between.

A 4 * 1.5 feet fish part is more likely, and in such a tank one could try 6 Torichthys - but I'm not certain it would work.

You could swap the meeki for Herotilapia multispinosa, a yellow fish, which is quite mellow. 6 of them in this tank will work
Thanks for the reply, Bas.

It's a riparium; not a paludrium. So the plants are potted at the water line (in pots that are suction cupped to the glass). It's essentially a normal aquarium with a reduced water line in order to facilitate emergent growth. The big bonus is there is loads of surface cover, and the plants use a lot of excess nutrients in the water as they grow really fast in these set ups.

I ended up finding a really nice pair of convicts today so I'm just going to go with them along with some dithers (either Ameca splendens or Xenotoca eiseni, I think).

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:35 am

Both are goodeids, but as far as I know, Ameca are both faster swimmers and in most cases more mellow. Therefore, from my point of view, I think Ameca are better suited as dithers

Kev_M

Post by Kev_M » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:45 am

Bas Pels wrote:Both are goodeids, but as far as I know, Ameca are both faster swimmers and in most cases more mellow. Therefore, from my point of view, I think Ameca are better suited as dithers
Brilliant. Thanks for that.

Return to “Central American Cichlids”