Thorichthys aureus blue creek Belize Hobby Zoo

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Meeki67

Thorichthys aureus blue creek Belize Hobby Zoo

Post by Meeki67 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:42 am

Slection or not. Anyway nature decide.

Normally female from this kind of aureus look like this :

In the group, one female look different with more blue. I try an association with one of my male. But he rejected her. It's why the caudale is damaged. I was obliged to exchange the female. I let the female he used to have with him. And this one has been put in an other tank.

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Thorichthys aureus blue creek Belize Hobby Zoo

Post by Willem Heijns » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:17 am

Interesting. Here's a picture of Thorichthys aureus freshly collected at Blue Creek, Belize.

Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Meeki67

Post by Meeki67 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:28 am

Thanks for your pictures. Have you some underwater ? Because exit from water it doesn't look the same.
(with flash in my fishcellar)

In fact, it's not a fish certified from blue creek Belize. It's an analyse of Rusty when he have seen the fish. It's happen at Hobby Zoo (Duisburg) to buy fish without river name. It was few years ago and I was so happy to find some aureus that I don't care of the location.

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:06 am

I don't have underwater pictures but there is a video made by me in Blue Creek on Cichlid Room Companion. The fish on there hardly show any more colour.
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:00 pm

There are also some underwater pictures in Blue Creek in the Cichlid Room Companion catalog. One is a close-up. I assume that lighting and saturation of digital pictures can make much of the difference seen. But the blotches in the last pictures shown are quite unreal
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

Meeki67

Post by Meeki67 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:35 am

It's an old post but I can insure that the picture was not modify. Just using flash. But this fish is a male and it's a kind of exception in the group of aureus growing at home. He is still alive and show the same color.

Meeki67

Post by Meeki67 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:39 am

Other look like this :

smitty

Post by smitty » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:44 am

Looks like two completely different fish. But I love them both. I am not a fan of select breeding or cross breeding either. I think nature will do its own evolving and until then I will just enjoy what it offers now
150gal- Dovi's; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260
180gal- Managuense; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; FX5
210gal- Argta,Bifsct,Fnstrtus,Maculcda,Regani,Syns,Zntus; 4 AC P.Filters; 2 AC P.Hds; Eheim 2250,2262; FX5

Parri

Post by Parri » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:53 am

smitty wrote:Looks like two completely different fish. But I love them both. I am not a fan of select breeding or cross breeding either. I think nature will do its own evolving and until then I will just enjoy what it offers now
Same here when it comes to selective breeding. Whatever the case the blue on these fish do look pretty amazing.
I think https://www.mixedink.com/quick-extender ... my-results the quick extender pro is great.

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:34 am

smitty wrote:Looks like two completely different fish. But I love them both. I am not a fan of select breeding or cross breeding either. I think nature will do its own evolving and until then I will just enjoy what it offers now
I'm not a fan of selective breeding either. I like the fish for their natural looks/behavior. I'm more interested in every aspect of a species as it occurs in nature. Even less colorful fish.
But to each their own. Everyone is going to have preferences and enjoying the hobby is what is important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iesamu

Post by Iesamu » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:48 am

smitty wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:44 am
Looks like two completely different fish. But I love them both. I am not a fan of select breeding or cross breeding either. I think nature will do its own evolving and until then I will just enjoy what it offers now
Same here when it comes to selective breeding. Whatever the case the blue on these fish do look pretty amazing.

Return to “Central American Cichlids”