Tomocichla asfraci question

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Rico Morgenstern
CichlidRoom Expert

Tomocichla asfraci question

Post by Rico Morgenstern » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:17 am

Dear all, I have a question concerning the distribution of Tomocichla asfraci:

I have read somewhere that it should live, besides the known Panamanian localities, in the Rio Sixaola drainage in Costa Rica. While this would not be unexpected judging from the distribution of other fishes in the region, I wonder if anyone of you has collected the species there or if there is any published record?

Thanks in advance.
Rico

michi tobler
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Tomocichla asfraci question

Post by michi tobler » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:37 pm

Hi Rico,
I have never heard of this, and I have never collected the species - or anything similar - in the Sixaola.
Cheers, Michi
Humans are not the pinnacle of evolutionary progress but only an aberrant side branch of fish evolution - Moyle

Website

Rico Morgenstern
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Rico Morgenstern » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:48 am

Thanks Michi!

Allgayer (2002) states that Sung (1996) has found the species there, but unfortunately such a reference is not included in the bibliography.

In a recent list of Costa Rican fishes (http://www.checklist.org.br/getpdf?SL061-13), the species is not included. However, they list T. tuba for the Sixaola drainage, whereas the works by Bussing (1975, 1998) contained no records from this system. T. tuba was in both works stated to occur in Panama in rivers now known to be inhabited by T. asfraci. Do they live there sympatrically or is this a case of misidentification?

Nuchal Man

Post by Nuchal Man » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:14 pm

Having done a fair bit of collecting in the country, T. tuba stops around Limon. I've done a decent amount of collecting around the Sixaola drainage and went as far as Gandoca (there is a pic in the profile listed from there) and have never seen Tomocichla tuba or T. asfraci. I asked Stan directly about 4 years ago and he told me he's never caught Tomocichla around there. I think this is a case of bad distribution records. They are not found sympatrically and my understanding is that there is a fair bit of distance between the distributions. The only cichlids I've found in the Sixaola drainage are:

Amatitlania kanna
Astatheros bussingi
Cryptoheros myrnae
Parachromis loisellei
Astatheros rhytisma is also found there but I have yet to see it.

cheers,
-Sam

Return to “Central American Cichlids”