Buen Suceso, Ometepe, Nicuragua

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
ayeo77

Buen Suceso, Ometepe, Nicuragua

Post by ayeo77 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:32 am

Hello all,

i have most of the readily available articles / resources on this biotope, and have many of the available species from there. I was wondering if anyone here has anything else on this river and its species? I have the Willem H DVD & articles, TFH articles, but was looking for some more info>

If anyone has anything themselves or can point me the right way, i would be grateful!
thanks
Andrew

Jim Cumming

Re: Buen Suceso, Ometepe, Nicuragua

Post by Jim Cumming » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:40 pm

You made reference to TFH. Have you seen this one? Here is the link:
http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/arti ... island.htm
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

ayeo77

Post by ayeo77 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:14 pm

Hi, yes thanks. I have both the tfh articles inc this one. :)

Gav

Post by Gav » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:51 am

ayeo77

Post by ayeo77 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:28 am

thanks for that but nothing specific on there.

MizOre

Post by MizOre » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:36 am

ayeo77 wrote:Hello all,

i have most of the readily available articles / resources on this biotope, and have many of the available species from there. I was wondering if anyone here has anything else on this river and its species? I have the Willem H DVD & articles, TFH articles, but was looking for some more info>

If anyone has anything themselves or can point me the right way, i would be grateful!
thanks
Andrew

Nothing to report in press, but I've been to Ometepe. The river starts at Ojos de Agua -- spring fed pools that are a popular tourist bathing spot, and I saw schooling small fish in that, but didn't explore further. Our tour van went over the bridge described in the article. Convicts are all over Nicaragua and with some different color variations in different locations (a friend has a very colorful wild caught young female that we're hoping to get fry from and all my Lago Apanas caught fish have gold flashes in the dorsal, with females having anything to no red in the caudal fin to considerable red. Dovii are also all over Nicaragua -- convict evolution may have been driven by the large predators.

The catch in Nicaragua is that national fish can't be sold or exported except under scientific licenses. Nicaraguan aquarists tend to trade rather than sell or don't bother with national species. Don't know where you live, but January isn't too hot down here anywhere (I don't remember Ometepe as being hot when I went with friends in the dry season. So far, nobody has been stupid enough to release Jewel Cichlids here, but they have released a couple of species of Tilapia.

Ometepe is a popular Nicaraguan tourist destination -- avoid the week between Christmas and New Year and Easter Week (Semana Santa), and from late March through May, all of Nicaragua is hot.
Rebecca Brown
Three tanks in my old age: 30 gallon guppy and quarantine tank, 15 gallon low and wide specially made for plants and shallow water fish , and 125 gallon or so 80 by 19-1/2 by 20 inches full of Convicts and the guppies they didn't eat.

ayeo77

Post by ayeo77 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:33 pm

Thanks for that info... Does anyone have info on the following?

1. The livebearers seen in the buen suceso on the Heijns dvd?
2. Info on Rhamdia catfish, native to this river, keeping in a central american cichlid and dither fish biotope?

I think in terms of livebearers, know Alfaro cultratus and poecilla mexicana are found there but any others?

MizOre

Post by MizOre » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:14 pm

FishBase has national lists -- people are discovering new livebearers still, but I don't know what is in Rio Buen Suceso. Other national livebearers are Alfaro huberi, Brachyrhaphis holdridgei, Belonesox belizanus (not likely there, but if it's in the Big Lake, it might be there), Gambusia nicaraguensis, Phallichthys amates, Xenophallus umbratilis. According to people who've done collecting, there's an overlap between Lake Nicaragua and northern Costa Rica and between northern Nicaragua and Honduras.

You can get in touch with Jeff MacCrary at http://www.gaianicaragua.org/station.html and see if there's a check list for the river. There's a checklist for what's in Lake Cocibolca, but I'm not able to find it now with a quick Google.
Rebecca Brown
Three tanks in my old age: 30 gallon guppy and quarantine tank, 15 gallon low and wide specially made for plants and shallow water fish , and 125 gallon or so 80 by 19-1/2 by 20 inches full of Convicts and the guppies they didn't eat.

Return to “Central American Cichlids”