Sometimes 'feeders' just don't get eaten

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Jim Cumming

Sometimes 'feeders' just don't get eaten

Post by Jim Cumming » Mon May 26, 2014 3:00 pm

Over the years, it has been my practice, like many other breeders, to feed unwanted fry to fish in other tanks. A net full here ... a net full there... and so on. Well sometimes a few fry manage to escape the "jaws of death" (I know ... a little overly dramatic). Case in point, I have had Paraneetroplus breidohri for a few years now and they are prolific, to say the least. I don't know if there is any species I've ever had that has spawned as much. About a year ago, I dumped a bunch of 1/4" fry into my 180G Madagascan tank, containing adult P. polleni, P. grandidieri, and P. menarambo. There is plenty of structure in there, and over the last year I've been watching a few 'breidohri' carving out a small niche for themselves. They are an aggressive, bold, and fiesty fish. It's not uncommon to see a 2" female pushing and nipping at a fish five times her size. To be sure, Madagascar cichlids aren't the best piscivores so it isn't surprising that some survived, two females and a male. They are now between 4" and 5", growing slowly into beautiful specimens. The females have been flirting with every fish in the tank, hoping to get "lucky". One female, when she was about 3", singled out a 10" Ptychochromis grandidieri as her potential mate, and she certainly had his attention, but ultimately, he just couldn't figure her out. Both females have spawned a couple of times all by themselves. Where was the male in all of this? Neither female would accept him as a mate ... until now. Here are some pics of the precocious 'breidohri', swimming about like they own the tank, keeping the Madagascans on their toes ... er, I mean fins.
Attachments
20140526134415.jpg
20140526134415.jpg (32.42 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
20140526134415-001.jpg
20140526134415-001.jpg (22.52 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
20140526134319.jpg
20140526134319.jpg (45.43 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

zenins

Re: Sometimes 'feeders' just don't get eaten

Post by zenins » Mon May 26, 2014 9:02 pm

Great story, thanks for sharing :)

Jim Cumming

Re: Sometimes 'feeders' just don't get eaten

Post by Jim Cumming » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:42 am

Here's a picture I took tonight of one of the "feeder" females guarding her large clutch of fungused eggs she laid two days ago. She wasn't able to entice the male away from the other female, so she went ahead and spawned anyways. She has done this a few times now.
Slide10.JPG
Right next to her the Paretroplus menarambo pair with their latest spawn.
Slide6.JPG
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Central American Cichlids”