multispinosus ‘Rio Tempisque’

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
stomper160

multispinosus ‘Rio Tempisque’

Post by stomper160 » Sat May 17, 2014 3:33 pm

Does anyone keep them? Rapps has a bunch of different fish from Rio Tempisque. Could a small group of multispinosus live in a 6ft tank with a citrinellus, siquia, or loisellei in biotope tank?

Darrell Ullisch

Re: multispinosus ‘Rio Tempisque’

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Sat May 17, 2014 6:33 pm

I don't believe they would co-exist with any of those fish. I have some of the siquia, and they are very aggressive when they have fry. The other two are also pretty aggressive, and much larger. It is well known that multispinosus is a pretty mild mannered species because they live in areas where other species don't want to go, so they don't have to compete as much for territory.
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

newworldsss

Post by newworldsss » Wed May 21, 2014 2:16 pm

Like Darrell said they are found in areas that aren't preferred, I found them on a few occasions to be in shallow hot water full of plants....

stomper160

Post by stomper160 » Fri May 23, 2014 6:27 pm

Interesting stuff. I read an old article that echoes your intel. Would it be wrong to assume in these hot and shallow waters that they would be living alongside livebearers?

newworldsss

Post by newworldsss » Fri May 23, 2014 10:36 pm

I believe their were at least poecilia mexicanus at least at 2 locations (Xiloa and Granada, lake Nicaragua ), where multispinosa was....I would have to check my records...

Return to “Central American Cichlids”