Stocking help!!!

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Timmy_85

Stocking help!!!

Post by Timmy_85 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:24 am

Hi,

I recently purchased a new 5ft x 2ft x 2ft aquarium. I'm just after a professional opinion or two when it comes to stocking. I'm open to all suggestions. I do however like Red Devils, Jaguars and Texas cichlids. Would it be possible to combine all three or is that asking for trouble? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ayeo77

Re: Stocking help!!!

Post by ayeo77 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:32 am

Not a pro - but definite trouble IMO

MizOre

Post by MizOre » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:20 am

Jaguar males can get into the 18 inch range. Red Devils also get some size on them, and the Texas Cichlids are the smallest of what you're considering and not a fish that shares native waters with many, if any, other cichlids. You could try raising some juveniles in the tank and thinning it to three fish of the same sex.

If you do combine all three, expect to have three fish all of the same sex in the tank, or one pair of something. "Enough space to raise a family in" will be the whole tank.
Rebecca Brown
Three tanks in my old age: 30 gallon guppy and quarantine tank, 15 gallon low and wide specially made for plants and shallow water fish , and 125 gallon or so 80 by 19-1/2 by 20 inches full of Convicts and the guppies they didn't eat.

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:11 am

My .4c (accounting for inflation)

For that tank I would strongly suggest only fish around the size of Herichthys cyanoguttatus - this would give them room to grow, breed and hide. You could also have more than a couple fish. The tank is not large enough (with rocks/hides etc) to house the others to full adulthood/breeding size and not experience issues with aggression, stressed fish and an unpleasant fish keeping experience.

Here is some additional reading for you...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14701

Dan

bennymoreno51

Post by bennymoreno51 » Wed May 06, 2015 12:07 pm

I say amen to that

CourtneyandThunder

Post by CourtneyandThunder » Wed May 06, 2015 1:34 pm

No sorry can't do it, they would for sure battle for territory. Personally I would pick one, you are choosing very aggressive cichlids.

Return to “Central American Cichlids”