Lake Apanas Convicts with fry

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
MizOre

Lake Apanas Convicts with fry

Post by MizOre » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:05 pm

I have two pairs and a single mom (one male left her and spawned a second time with a larger female) with free swimming fry and a third pair tending eggs or wigglers. Two bachelor males that were getting beaten up into the tank upper corners went into a second tank with some guppies to eat and will be rehomed shortly. One male was removed earlier, so out of ten original fish, I've now got seven adults.
PairWithFry-1-2.jpg
The tank is 80 inches long, 19.5 wide, and 20 inches tall, and uses both a small and a larger (600 lph) internal power filters and a homemade wet dry filter operated by a 1,000 liters an hour submersible pump in the tank running to a plastic bucket with media and a drain back into the tank. Pump intake is at one side of the take; power filters on the other. Temperature is whatever the room temperature is in Jinotega, Nicaragua, which is cooler in the winter and warmer (up to 80s) in the warmer parts of the year.
CenterPairWithFry.jpg
Center pair whose fry were the second batch to swim.
I'm feeding crushed small fish pellets and grindal worms. Even though the parents are not particularly large fish, the circa 130 US gallon tank couldn't take any more convict breeding pairs.
EndPairWithFry.jpg
Rebecca Brown
Three tanks in my old age: 30 gallon guppy and quarantine tank, 15 gallon low and wide specially made for plants and shallow water fish , and 125 gallon or so 80 by 19-1/2 by 20 inches full of Convicts and the guppies they didn't eat.

DRE

Re: Lake Apanas Convicts with fry

Post by DRE » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:26 am

Nice photos and fisk!
Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else and thinking something different

DRE

Re: Lake Apanas Convicts with fry

Post by DRE » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:27 am

Fish!
Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else and thinking something different

Return to “Central American Cichlids”