Rio Tempisque

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
ayeo77

Rio Tempisque

Post by ayeo77 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:53 pm

Can anyone please advise what cichlids can be found in this river? Also any info on livebearers and charachins would be helpful. Thanks

Gmfishnut

Re: Rio Tempisque

Post by Gmfishnut » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:17 pm

My F0 pair of A. Siquia from Rio Tempisque
Rio Tempisque Siquia pair 1.jpg

Rico Morgenstern
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Rico Morgenstern » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:24 pm

Apart from A. siquia, the following other cichlids are reliably recorded from that drainage: Astatheros alfari, A. longimanus, Herotilapia multispinosa and Parachromis dovii.

Lee Nuttall

Post by Lee Nuttall » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:54 pm

Rico Morgenstern
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Rico Morgenstern » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:02 am

Thanks for the link, Lee. This area has been formerly included in a "Chiapas Nicaragua Region" but the fauna is quite different from the northern part (= Chiapas-Fonseca). Unfortunately, no full list of species is provided; and it should be noted that those mentioned do not occur in all rivers of the region (i.e. they are not necessarily found in Rio Tempisque itself).

An updated check list of Costa Rican freshwater fishes with distributional data (thus containing all fishes ocurring in the Rio Tempisque) can be found here:

http://www.checklist.org.br/getpdf?SL061-13

In addition, I found a record of Parachromis managuensis from this drainage (Rio Canas or Cañas, not to be confused with the by Werner 1983:

http://www.dcg-online.de/encyclopedia/w ... -30-34.pdf

According to Bussing (1998), it may be not native there, however.

If Rio Bebedero is considered part of the Rio Tempisque drainage, Hypsophrys nematopus, H. nicaraguensis and Parachromis loisellei can be added, as well as possibly Cryptoheros septemfasciatus (not reported from the Pacific slope in the present check list, but according to Stawikowski & Werner [1985, 1998] it was found in Rio Javilla near Cañas by Austrian aquarists).

ayeo77

Post by ayeo77 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:19 am

Great, thanks guys. Not only does this thoroughly answer my initial question but also two other similar questions concerning Lago Nicuragua and Rio San Juan. So am I right in that it appears the great lake is a channel and supplier for many of these fish between San Juan and Tempisque, thought they both drain into very different regions geographically?

DRE

Post by DRE » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:27 am

Awesome!
Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else and thinking something different

Return to “Central American Cichlids”