Astatheros altifrons: Pre-Spawning Behavior

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Jim Cumming

Astatheros altifrons: Pre-Spawning Behavior

Post by Jim Cumming » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:15 pm

My colony of five Astatheros altifrons (1M, 4F) are the only inhabitants in this 50G tank. They spawn every three weeks or so, especially after a water change. The flat rock in the back right corner has been the spawning site of choice, since they cover their eggs with sand and no other surface is horizontal enough to have the sand stay in place. Here they are, looking like they're getting ready to spawn. Notice the pair's very contrasty pattern, especially the female ... a warning to the other females to "back off".

http://youtu.be/uwK0pjoYbA0
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Lee Nuttall

Re: Astatheros altifrons: Pre-Spawning Behavior

Post by Lee Nuttall » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:28 am

Very nice!

I have a pair with fry at the moment, this is their second spawn as the first one failed. My pair don't appear to show the darker barring like yours, perhaps because they are in a tank with no other threatening occupants, only a group of pociellia gilli ?

With the first spawn, I witnessed the pair's unique behaviour by sprinkling the eggs with sand, however, this latest spawn, I haven't seen this behaviour. My guess is that the eggs were deposited higher than previous and on a angled rock.

Its a shame we don't see this species being kept and spawned more often, because once matured I think they are stunning looking cichlids, especially the male with his yellow throat and lip colouration! 8)

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:21 am

Thanks for your comments, Lee. I agree that this is a very underrated species. I value mine highly.
Attachments
MVI_1226-006.jpg
MVI_1226-001.jpg
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Lee Nuttall

Post by Lee Nuttall » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:54 am

I have had mine a little while and found them to be quite slow growing fish, they only started pair bonding and spawning a little over a month ago.

Here is a photo of the pair cleaning a stone ready for spawning.

They decided to use a different rock instead. The female fanning the eggs; no sand covered eggs this time.

I'll share more photos once the fry are free swimming. 8)

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:19 pm

I certainly agree about the slow growing part. I have some young from a spawn about a year ago and they are only at 2-3" now. I also have A. robertsoni 'Jutiapa' and they are really slow as well. Wonder if that's the case for most Astatheros species?
MVI_0780.jpg
IMG_7056.JPG
- Albert Einstein

meksjoef

Post by meksjoef » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:52 pm

Very nice! Yours and the animals from Lee also :) not very vermiliar with altifrons, but those differ alot from the animals that Christian Hofer's... As far as i can see on internet photo's then :P

http://www.dcg-online.de/encyclopedia/a ... hner-1863/

Return to “Central American Cichlids”