Looking for ID confirmation

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
ncognto

Looking for ID confirmation

Post by ncognto » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:28 am

Hi all new guy here.I got 8 of these little ones at 1/2 inch about 3 weeks ago and the largest is now pushing 1 1/2 inches.I have them in a 55 gallon planted with 8 black neon tetras and 2 clown plecos as of now.would like to narrow it down to 2 breeding pairs and let them run wild in the tank with the possible addition of a couple of mesonauta later on.They were sold to me as Honduran Red Points and I have no reason to doubt that but they are showing a fair bit of aggression towards each other as well as occasional nips towards the tetras.I know the pics arent the greatest but hopefully enough to confirm what they are.

ncognto

Re: Looking for ID confirmation

Post by ncognto » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:49 pm

My apologies for the double post I got confused when the first had not shown up this morning and assumed I had screwed something up.

Newguy5

Post by Newguy5 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:25 am

Looks to me like either a convict or a Honduran red point

Matt

ncognto

Post by ncognto » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:34 am

Thanks...thats what I am trying to narrow down is which of those it is.They show a fair amount of blue not evident in the pictures but there are hybrids between the two as well.I am also seeing a bit of yellow tinge showing up on the flanks lately also.Just wanted to lock a positive ID down if possible.Either way I think they are going to be pretty fish but wasnt planning on convicts or hybrids as I dont want spawns of 300 plus going on in there...I would have to end up flushing babies as I wouldnt be able to find homes for them all.

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:25 pm

At that size, it's hard to tell if they are convicts, HRPs or a hybrid. Male HRPs have a definite red in the vertical fins, especially the caudal. The females are very blue in the body and the fins and show an orange patch on the flanks. Also, the females show a dark spot in the dorsal. Here are pics (not the greatest quality) of some of mine.
Attachments
HRP9.jpg
HRP9.jpg (35.74 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
HRP2.jpg
HRP2.jpg (15.18 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
HRP1.jpg
HRP1.jpg (17.19 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
HRP12.jpg
HRP12.jpg (51.29 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

ncognto

Post by ncognto » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:29 pm

I appreciate it...guess I will have to wait a while to be sure.I have scoured the net looking at pics but still cant confirm one way or the other.

Return to “Central American Cichlids”