Help with id

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Chrisfits

Help with id

Post by Chrisfits » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:44 am

I picked this guy up a while ago now but have no real clue as to what it is.. Any help would be great cheers

ImageImageImage

myster619

Re: Help with id

Post by myster619 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:54 am

I would have said Paratheraps sp. "Coatzacoalcos" but since the horizontal line does not go past the mid section, I would consider it a cross. But that is just my opinion, I am no expert.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:06 am

for coatzalcos the horisontal line is incorrect, but there is also a vertical bar halfway the body which should not be there

My guess? V sp coatzalcos X V maculicauda. That would also explain the black dots

Chrisfits

Post by Chrisfits » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:09 pm

Thanks for the replies crew..
Yeah it was sold as a coatzacoalcos, but figured anything in Aus labeled as that would have to be a hybrid of sorts, could it have black belt in it? When it darkens up has similar marking but with heaps of blue.
Ordinarily not a fan of hybrids but if it is it's personality makes up for it ;)

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:42 am

Chrisfits wrote:Thanks for the replies crew..
Yeah it was sold as a coatzacoalcos, but figured anything in Aus labeled as that would have to be a hybrid of sorts, could it have black belt in it?
please check your fish names. I'm not 100 % certain, but I think maculicauda is also referred to as bleck belt by usa fishkeepers

However, this is an intenrational forum, and this kind of common names are worse than worhtless: Chances are that a common, local name is given to another fish somewhere else.

Therefore please refer to the Latin names

Chrisfits

Post by Chrisfits » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:52 am

Yes I was referring to maculicauda, definitely the fish I was thinking of. Thanks
Does sound like it would be thrown around a fair bit on quite a few fish.
I'll do that in future, thanks

Return to “Central American Cichlids”