(New) Tomocichla Sieboldii not feeding

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
henknaert

(New) Tomocichla Sieboldii not feeding

Post by henknaert » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:27 am

Hi,

I recently bought some Tomocichla Sieboldii, got them 6 days ago. They were shipped by air and I assume must have been on the road for 12 hours or so. When receiving the fish they were in good condition albeit in very low pH with high ammonia. I flushed out the ammonia with pH adjusted water before slowly increasing the pH to 7.8. The fish are in a quarantine "tub", a plastic bin of 200L with a filter previously running on the main tank, I do not test abnormal levels of ammonia, nitrite or high nitrate in the water (ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate below 10).

The fish are very active but shy, when they don't see my they are all over the place but go hiding as soon as they notice me. Started offering some flake but no interest at all (food is not even mouthed or spit out). Same for pellets. Tried some frozen mysis but no feeding response at all. Yesterday I fed some frozen Hikari bloodworms and 3 out of 4 were eating, one occasionally took a bite but spit it out again. They were fed frozen bloodworm at the retailer as well (he had them for 3 weeks before shipping to me). This morning I was feeding frozen bloodworms again and none of them showed any interest...

Should I just be patient, change some water and wait...or medicate...? Anyone who can give me some advice on this?

Thanks

Bas Pels

Re: (New) Tomocichla Sieboldii not feeding

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:36 am

What has happened is that the fish have been temporarily in heavily polluted water. Tomocichla live in rapid moving rivers - thus very clean water, and one might assume they are a bit sensitive towards pollution

So what can you do? Wait. Nothing more, unless you change water regularly.

The feeding is something which should come back by itself, but this can be helpoed by providing live food. That is, you could perhaps put some life shrimps or something similar into the tank. When these are eaten, you can start feeding the fish with more regular food.

I've kept en bread T sieboldi, and they are a shy species. That is, I hardly ever saw them eating, but as the food disappeared and the fish thrived, they must have eaten.

So be patient and change water every now and then

Don't use any medication - it only pollutes the water, adds to the stress the fish are already experiencing and therefore will only be negative.

henknaert

Post by henknaert » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:03 am

OK thanks! Was inclined to wait too but also worried that I'd wait too long.

Kevinlee303

Post by Kevinlee303 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:41 am

1.Don't turn on the light,
2.Keep the temperature at 30 degree C
3.Do not feed them anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

henknaert

Post by henknaert » Wed May 28, 2014 5:35 am

Just wanted to give an update, the fish are feeding fine now already for some time, and recently also started to feed on New Life Spectrum pellets. This also took quite some time, i.e. several months, before they started to accept pellets...They don't seem to change habits quickly.

Return to “Central American Cichlids”