Amphilophus Trimaculatus

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Gmfishnut

Amphilophus Trimaculatus

Post by Gmfishnut » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:32 pm

image.jpg
A couple of pics of my Trimaculatus. Just spawned through the divider. Hoping for some fry!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg (8.51 KiB) Viewed 3152 times

Rich Kastor

Re: Amphilophus Trimaculatus

Post by Rich Kastor » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:52 am

Very nice. I have a group of 15 waiting to see what I get. Any success to their spawn?

myster619

Post by myster619 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:04 pm

These are one of the best looking Trimacs I have ever seen.

Gmfishnut

Post by Gmfishnut » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:07 pm

Trimac Male 3b.jpg
Male in breeding color

Gmfishnut

Post by Gmfishnut » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:00 pm

Trimac Female f.jpg
Female

baconks

Post by baconks » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:02 am

Beautiful Trimacs! Do you always have the divider up until they're ready to breed? Also, are you able to keep other species with them?

Gmfishnut

Post by Gmfishnut » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:33 am

baconks wrote:Beautiful Trimacs! Do you always have the divider up until they're ready to breed? Also, are you able to keep other species with them?
Had the divider in to allow the female to come into condition. I tried without the divider but the male was too aggressive. He would constantly chase her when she would come out of hiding to eat. I placed the hollowed out stones on his side and eventually when she was ready, she spent the majority of the day on his side of the divider. They spawned without incident and I removed the divider to give the pair more room. I don't know why but for some reason the male became very aggressive again and I had to re-install the divider to assure the safety of the female. This time leaving the female with the eggs alone and the male on the other side. The eggs hatched and the fry swim freely from one side of the divider to the other. I've seen the female go to the males side a few times at witch time he chases her until she retreats back to her side.
I'm sure that had I not had the divider in the tank, I would've lost the female!
The male is very aggressive and will not tolerate other fish in his tank. I kept him in a 150 gallon with a few other cichlids when he was a juvenile but eventually as he grew the other fish had to be removed or were eaten. I keep him and the female in their own 90 gallon now.

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:21 am

Very nice!

Congrats, nothing cooler than watchin momma with fry encircling her!!

Return to “Central American Cichlids”