Cryptoheros nanoluteus?

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Lee Nuttall

Cryptoheros nanoluteus?

Post by Lee Nuttall » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:20 am

Hi Guys, I would like your opinion if possible.

Do you think that the female nanoluteus in the photo could possibly have a mixture with C. myrnae?

The gold markings on the flanks doesn't look quite right to me, also it looks quite deep bodied for nanoluteus:? I was hoping to try and pair them, but I'm not too sure now.

Male and female together showing the gold markings on the flanks...something doesn't seem right?

Here is an older photo of mine showing another female fish to compare, both fish are in non breeding colouration.

Any help or opinions, thanks. :)

Florent
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Cryptoheros nanoluteus?

Post by Florent » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:05 am

I agree with you, the fins color is also unusual

dogofwar

Post by dogofwar » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:38 am

I'm not aware of any known-provenance nanoluteus, altoflavus or myrnae in the US (I've kept and bred nanos and myrnae...but they're all aquarium strain). Are there any lines in Europe that are verifiably pure?

Matt

Lee Nuttall

Post by Lee Nuttall » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:07 pm

dogofwar wrote:I'm not aware of any known-provenance nanoluteus, altoflavus or myrnae in the US (I've kept and bred nanos and myrnae...but they're all aquarium strain). Are there any lines in Europe that are verifiably pure?

Matt
This is the first time that I have questioned UK nanoluteus, to be fair this was a lone fish and not from a batch of young. After keeping centrals for many years, I can confidently say that all of our nanoluteus were imported from Rapps, Conkel and Dan in the past. However it only takes one idiot in the UK to experiment and ruin it for the rest of us, we are seeing someone doing this with bocourti x Vieja cross!! :( :twisted:

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:24 pm

I keep wild C. nanoluteus and I agree with your observations
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Philippe Burnel » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:51 pm

Lee Nuttall

Post by Lee Nuttall » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:15 pm

Thanks for your opinions. :)

I have a feeling that this fish doesn't fully comply with C. nanoluteus. Little details trouble me like the colouring and slight spangling on the unpaired fins.

I guess first impressions count and if in doubt, then best not to breed from them. I will keep the female, but only for security so that it doesn't go to someone else who doesn't care about breeding from mixed fish stock.

Lee.

Return to “Central American Cichlids”