Cryptoheros diference

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
rodald

Cryptoheros diference

Post by rodald » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:13 am

Hello everyone,
I would like to know how to diference between C. spilurus, C. cutteri and C. chetumalensis, a few months ago I caught a group of 8 in lake Izabal, I thought they were all spilurus, but now they are showing diferent colorations between them, some are plain brownish, some are yellowish and one is redish, I know these 3 species are present at the lake or near the lake, so I just want to be sure of what I have.
So can you please explain to me in simple words how to diference them?

here are a couple really bad pics taken with a cellphone, hope they help

Thanks a lot.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><)))))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><)))))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><)))))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.

Bas Pels

Re: Cryptoheros diference

Post by Bas Pels » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:29 am

Can't say anything about C. chetumalensis, but your fish do look a lit like spilurus. They are not cutteri

C. spilurus are higher build, and the pattern on the fishes of your first photo is very typical: bars on the belly shown, while the rest is reduced

If they have fry, the bars become very prominent

C. cutteri ale much longer, mostly more agressive, and the bars are strong - weak - strong - weak.

With fry, you only see the strong bars.

I never saw C. chetumalensis I trusted. I saw fishes looking like spiluris being claimd to be chetumalensis, and I saw fishes looking like cutteri being claimed to be chetumalensis. But I did not trust the claims.

rodald

Post by rodald » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:38 am

Bas Pels wrote:Can't say anything about C. chetumalensis, but your fish do look a lit like spilurus. They are not cutteri

C. spilurus are higher build, and the pattern on the fishes of your first photo is very typical: bars on the belly shown, while the rest is reduced

If they have fry, the bars become very prominent

C. cutteri ale much longer, mostly more agressive, and the bars are strong - weak - strong - weak.

With fry, you only see the strong bars.

I never saw C. chetumalensis I trusted. I saw fishes looking like spiluris being claimd to be chetumalensis, and I saw fishes looking like cutteri being claimed to be chetumalensis. But I did not trust the claims.
Thanks for the info, I guess they are all spilurus then.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><)))))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><)))))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><)))))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.

newworldsss

Post by newworldsss » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:01 pm

Spilurus I caught a bunch in Izabel a few years back too, one of my favorites....

Return to “Central American Cichlids”