Habitat video/Cenote Azul/JDs, uropthalmus, melanurum

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
duanestuermer

Habitat video/Cenote Azul/JDs, uropthalmus, melanurum

Post by duanestuermer » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:06 am

here's a short raw footage video taken in a small pool near cenote Azul, just west of hwy 307, south of Puerto Aventuras and north of Tulum

Lisachromis
Administrator

Re: Habitat video/Cenote Azul/JDs, uropthalmus, melanurum

Post by Lisachromis » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:49 am

Great video!

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:19 pm

Nice video, thanks for sharing! I am sure you've enjoyed the trip.
I snorkel in that area few times. Cenote Azul and Eden, not far from each other. I rent the car and drove there, pay the fee to enter and spent many hours enjoying natural habitat.
I remember very small shallow pool of water in the way from the parking lot to the cenote Azul. I noticed that particular pool consist of mostly Rocio's, who were really skinny, in bad shape.
Azul itself is very shallow with big boulders, hard to swim, forget about snorkel, at the time of my visit (I think it was November or December) it contains huge amount of breeding Uropthalmus with myriads fry around.
Alex

duanestuermer

Post by duanestuermer » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:19 am

I believe the pool just down from the parking lot you mention, is the same as in the video, the JDs didn't look too bad this year as you can see.
In cenote Azul, uropthalmus seemed to be the only cichlid but the shoaling populations were huge.
Funny, Azul is relatively shallow, seems to average less than 10 feet , but because the water is so clear, there were some very deceptive deep holes, and a strong current flowing from the holes, and caves.
Last year, I snorkeled Cristalino (also very close) and it was full of large, healthy JDs, and the largest velifera mollies I'd ever seen.
This year both the large JDs and mollies were no where to be found, only small versions of both.

Return to “Central American Cichlids”