exCichlasoma beani - Well That Didn't Take Long

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Jim Cumming

exCichlasoma beani - Well That Didn't Take Long

Post by Jim Cumming » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:43 am

I emptied my 1100G pond on Sunday.For the nine exCichlasoma beani in the pond, 'summer camp' was over. It looks as if there are five males and four females. They thrived in the four months they were out there, the males now ranging from 7 to 9", the females 5 to 6". No sooner had I moved them into their winter quarters, one of the males took up with a female. She began to show vertical barring on the sides, a blackening chest area, and a black patch on the anterior part of her dorsal. For the last few hours they have been courting, flaring, swimming together, tail slapping and staking out a territory. Here are a few pictures of the 'beani' couple (soon to be parents, I hope).
Attachments
MVI_1050-001.jpg
MVI_1050.jpg
MVI_1051-005.jpg
MVI_1051-002.jpg
MVI_1046.jpg
MVI_1051-004.jpg
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: exCichlasoma beani - Well That Didn't Take Long

Post by Dan Woodland » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:19 am

When the double bar across the face doesn't fade you're in business! Great looking fish, one of my favorites.

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:02 am

Dan Woodland wrote:When the double bar across the face doesn't fade you're in business! Great looking fish, one of my favorites.
Thanks for the heads up, Dan. By the way, it looks as if the pair bond is firmly established. They have declared a 'reign of terror' on anything that even remotely comes close to their territory. They are one mean fish. This normally peaceful 180G is now being ruled by the pair. I've got to keep a watchful eye open for any casualties, and if worst comes to worst, remove the 'beani'. That will be easier said than done. Stay tuned!
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:53 am

Jim, as always enjoying your fish and write ups. Beautiful Beani!

Alex

zenins

Post by zenins » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 am

Great looking fish :)

Thanks for sharing

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:14 pm

notho2000 wrote:
Dan Woodland wrote: They are one mean fish.
Usually only amongst their own kind... they don't usually hold their own very well when alone against other large cichlids.

You already know this about other cichlids but they can turn on each other in a heart beat, even while tending eggs or fry.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:52 am

So the best way to keep beany would, perhaps, be in a relatively large tank, with relatively few fishes, with beani being some 10 % of the number.

That is, for example, 10 Herichthys tamasopoensis, 10 H labridens and a pair of beani in a 3 meter - 10 feet - tank?

Gmfishnut

Post by Gmfishnut » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:51 pm

Beautiful pair. How about an update?

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:13 am

Well, not such great news. About a week after the pics were taken, the pair went off their food and became very lethargic. I moved them to their own 25G tanks and treated with metronidazole and epsom salts (not at the same time). After two months, the male is back to his normal self but the female isn't. I have a couple of other treatment options in mind but so far it doesn't look good for her. The beani curse is still with me, it would seem. Unfortunately, I sent off my other 4 adult beani to a fish hobbyist in BC. Hoping not, but I might have to give it another go with some young stock. The pond seemed to be the key to bringing them along.
- Albert Einstein

Gmfishnut

Post by Gmfishnut » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:20 pm

Sorry to hear that.
I had the same problem when I had a group back in 2009. I managed to get some of the adults Jeff Rapps brought in.
I had a pair form and spawn in my 265. About a week after they spawned the female bloated and I lost her. Managed to syphon the fry and ended up with around 100 that I spread around.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:47 pm

Well, my hopes of saving my 6" female beani, and ultimately getting the pair to spawn ended today. Whatever her malady, she remained lethargic and didn't eat, becoming weaker as the days went by. I think she basically starved to death. I tried epsom salts, metronidazole, and a lot of TLC but to no avail. I still have the nice 8" male that I'll keep in hopes of coming by a mature female for him ... or try for the third time with some juveniles in the Spring, just in time for pond season.
- Albert Einstein

Dannydovii

Post by Dannydovii » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:55 am

Hello all. Is that last Beani pic a rio presidio?

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:08 pm

Gmfishnut wrote:I had a group back in 2009. I managed to get some of the adults Jeff Rapps
Apparently those fish were collected in Rio Panuco near Mazatlan by Rusty Wessel in 2009. Rio Panuco is a tributary of Rio Presidio.
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:21 pm

Jim Cumming wrote:I emptied my 1100G pond on Sunday.For the nine exCichlasoma beani in the pond, 'summer camp' was over. It looks as if there are five males and four females. They thrived in the four months they were out there, the males now ranging from 7 to 9", the females 5 to 6". No sooner had I moved them into their winter quarters, one of the males took up with a female. She began to show vertical barring on the sides, a blackening chest area, and a black patch on the anterior part of her dorsal. For the last few hours they have been courting, flaring, swimming together, tail slapping and staking out a territory. Here are a few pictures of the 'beani' couple (soon to be parents, I hope).
Gmfishnut wrote:Sorry to hear that.
I had the same problem when I had a group back in 2009. I managed to get some of the adults Jeff Rapps brought in.
I had a pair form and spawn in my 265. About a week after they spawned the female bloated and I lost her. Managed to syphon the fry and ended up with around 100 that I spread around.
Very nice beani.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Central American Cichlids”