P. Motaguensis and R. Octofasciata

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
baconks

P. Motaguensis and R. Octofasciata

Post by baconks » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:09 am

I'm interested in knowing if P. Motaguensis and R. Octofasciata are found in and share any of the same river systems? I see where they inhabit these same countries( Belize, Guatemala,Honduras) If so, does anyone know the names of the rivers and in which country? Photos of the river systems? Hopefully, Juan Artigas you may have insight on this?

Thanks,
K Bacon

Rico Morgenstern
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: P. Motaguensis and R. Octofasciata

Post by Rico Morgenstern » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:08 am

Both species are known to occur in the Rio Motagua system in Guatemala. They have been recorded already by N. Miller (1907, albeit under wrong names) from several localities within the system, at some places they were taken together. Both may also coexist in the Rio Ulua drainage in Honduras, though the identification of Parachromis from that area is somewhat doubtful. Records of P. motaguensis from Belize seem to be based on misidentifications of P. friedrichsthalii, which does more widely overlap with Rocio in distribution and habitat preference.

baconks

Post by baconks » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:00 pm

Thanks, that is very helpful information, as I have a chance to acquire some Motaguensis and already have the Roccio. I'm trying to maintain a species correct biotope. Hopefully they will co-exist. I'll post pictures when I have them in hand.

Thanks again

newworldsss

Post by newworldsss » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:08 pm

Like Rico said regarding the mix up between the two parachromis, I have caught freidrichsthlai and octofasciatus in Belize in doubloon and Crooked Tree lagoons....

Return to “Central American Cichlids”