Astatheros Rostratum Question

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
tmsb805

Astatheros Rostratum Question

Post by tmsb805 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:49 am

Hello all,

Quick questions about some rostratus that i have. Does anyone know how many variations of this species there are? I have a total of 9 at the moment. 3 wild caught "rio grande de matagalpa" and they other 6 coming from local vendors and other hobbyist. The 6 are the riverine type but half of them look slightly different from the others. On 3 theres two black blotches, one on/above the lateral line and the other just below the dorsal. The other 3 don't have any at all. Is this a locale thing? Here's a couple of pictures
IMG_00000010.jpg

IMG_00000011.jpg

duanestuermer

Re: Astatheros Rostratum Question

Post by duanestuermer » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:27 am

I have 15 juvies from Gage at Cichidconnection only about 2"-3" so far, it will be interesting to find out if different rivers or lakes have variants. I find the blotches seem to come and go depending on mood and conditions.

Nuchal Man

Post by Nuchal Man » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:23 pm

I don't think it's a locality issue, just variation within a population as well as mood dependent. All the A. rostratus I've seen and brought back have been from Costa Rica and there is some definite variation in the blotch shape and size among fish in the same river. I do agree with Duane though, I'm fairly certain a lot of it is mood dependent as the ones I've kept will occasionally go from showing a blotch to not showing a blotch.

tmsb805

Post by tmsb805 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:24 pm

I dont believe mood is an issue in this case. What im seeing is that 3 of them don't have the blotches at all. Not even on the caudal peduncle.

Return to “Central American Cichlids”