Amphilophus macracanthus coloring up

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
ciclasoman

Amphilophus macracanthus coloring up

Post by ciclasoman » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:38 am

I am happy to post a few pictures of this fish which is rarely seen in cichlid forums. These guys are wild and around 5-6 inches long. Some are acquiring a pink coloration to their breast and opercula. Their disposition is mild and apparently are slow growers but compared to my Paretroplines, they seem to be on hormones.

rodald

Re: Amphilophus macracanthus coloring up

Post by rodald » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:01 pm

Hello, really nice fish but in my opinion they are not A. macracanthus, they look more like some kind of Paratheraps, I have never seen A macracanths with a lateral line.

Here is a video of mine, I caught them in Guatemalas pacific slope, notice there is no lateral line http://youtube.com/watch?v=IKcytRXf2mQ

Greetings
Rodrigo.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><)))))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><)))))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><)))))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.

Lee Nuttall

Post by Lee Nuttall » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:53 pm

I must agree, they don't particularly resemble A. macracanthus.

Here's a photo of a young male for comparison.

They could possibly be a hybrid that has been doing the rounds in recent times called Vieja macracanthus, unfortunately a mixture of the two species. Here is a link to a photo that illustrates what the species looks like: http://www.amazon-exotic-import.de/Gall ... anthus.htm

Also of interest, I once read in a Magazine from the German Cichlid Society that natural occurring hybrids between Macracanthus and zonatus were observed/ caught in the Rio Zantepec?

ciclasoman

Post by ciclasoman » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:09 pm

Nice pictures and video. I appreciate your comments. The river where these fish were collected was a fast flowing river east of Presa La Angostura. There were no other cichlids in this river, however, one specimen was caught in the Rio Grijalva along with small tilapia. This fish is most reminiscent of Paratheraps, or Paraneetroplus breidohri except coloration is markedly different and head profile is more elongated in this particular fish. I can't wait to see and compare breeding dress. I think it may be a regional variant of macracanthus with pink breast coloration, a new species or a natural hybrid of breidohri and macracanthus??? I'm excited about the possibilities :-)

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:00 pm

I have had a fish that, about three years ago, I was trying to establish the identity of. Finally, I'm thinking that it could be the 'macracanthus-hybrid... at least after having seen the pictures that Lee Nuttal gave a link to.
Vieja macracanthus_1.jpg
Here's the pic of mine-a real beast of a male at 12", and then he, along with his 9" female. They are in breeding coloratio in the second photo. The male has no reds in him although the female has a slight 'blush' in the chest area. Also she is more elongate. They look mighty similar.
IMG_5477.JPG
IMG_3822.JPG
Jose, that 'blush' in the chest area is certainly breidohri-like. And the horizontal broken line too...especially apparent in juvenile 'breidohri'. Here's a pic of some 1-1.5" 'breidohri' for comparison.
MVI_0757.jpg
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Rico Morgenstern
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Rico Morgenstern » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:02 am

Lee Nuttall wrote:Also of interest, I once read in a Magazine from the German Cichlid Society that natural occurring hybrids between Macracanthus and zonatus were observed/ caught in the Rio Zantepec?
The whole story can be read here:

http://www.dcg-online.de/encyclopedia/w ... -146-1.pdf

It's quite interesting that such hybrids occur in natural habitats. However, they should not get into the trade. These here are easily recognized, but hybrids between more closely related forms may be mistaken for pure species.

ciclasoman

Post by ciclasoman » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:11 pm

Those hybrids are interesting but one can definitely appreciate the similarity with zonatus or even hartwegi. The fish we collected were from a river where this was the only occurring cichlid. I will post more pictures once they are sexually mature. My feeling is that it may be a species complex of macracanthus or an undescribed fish.
Best regards
Jose

ciclasoman

Post by ciclasoman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:11 am

This fish really turned out to be Paratheraps breidohri, in the tank they look amazing as they have a gorgeous iridescent shine. I learnt quite a bit about regional color variations of this species, thanks to all that posted here.

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:47 am

I'm glad that their identity has been solved. Presa d'Angostura is I believe the type locality for this species. One of my favorite CAs
Attachments
MVI_0653-002.jpg
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Central American Cichlids”