Is this really thorichthys maculipinnis?

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:37 pm

It was sold to me as t. ellioti, which of course is t. mac now, but this fish full grown didn't look anything like other specimens I've seen. He was also much larger at almost 8'' full grown. Can anyone confirm an ID on this thorichthys?
100_2045-1.jpg

slimbolen99

Re: Is this really thorichthys maculipinnis?

Post by slimbolen99 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:04 pm

Doesn't look like what mine do (of course, I am not 100% sure mine are T. maculipinnis either). Mine are only four to five inches.
fDSC03747_zps632206df.jpg
pDSC03317_zps0f5e8bbc.jpg

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:21 pm

I am not Thorichtys expert, please correct me the one who is, but your fish CA cichlid looks like a healthy male of T.Meeki. I noticed through the years of my fish hobby that Meeki from different areas are very much vary in size, shape and colour. Also I never saw 8" Meeki specimen. 6.5" TL yes (picture attached, he is 4 y old @ this picture), not 8"
Alex
Attachments
Meeki male resize.jpg

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:39 pm

Thanks for the replies and pics guys. My fish seems to be much thicker bodied than most throichthys, and I have never seen a t. maculipinnis variation like this.
Alex-I agree I have never seen a meeki bigger than 6-6.5'. This fish was huge. I mean it was the almost larger than my full grown male h. deppi, and way more aggressive than him too. BTW I like that meeki.
Anyone have any suggestions if this is this is a t. maculipinnis or something else?

slimbolen99

Post by slimbolen99 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:56 pm

I am NO expert whatsoever, but the only other possible idea I would be is Thorichthys affinis...but I know very little about them. I hope someone with more knowledge than me speaks up. My money is still that it's just a tank bred brute meeki though.

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:42 pm

slimbolen99 wrote:I am NO expert whatsoever, but the only other possible idea I would be is Thorichthys affinis...but I know very little about them. I hope someone with more knowledge than me speaks up. My money is still that it's just a tank bred brute meeki though.
I'm no expert either, but affinis seems very similar to meeki in a lot of ways. I can't seem to think of a thorichthys that has a sloping forehead like this. It almost looks amphilophus or something like that..

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:15 am

I know this is an old thread, but I am still curious about what this fish was. I don't have it anymore. I recently bought "t. Aureus" at the same LFS, but I knew they were really t. Macs.

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:17 am

Here is the new fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abrooks12376

Post by abrooks12376 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:25 am

Here's my t mac
59bcd03ba67c8bcfff09330474296ae8.jpg
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:28 pm

abrooks12376 wrote:Here's my t mac
59bcd03ba67c8bcfff09330474296ae8.jpg
He is gorgeous!

I know t. Macs can vary a good deal depending on location. But I have never seen a variation like this. The head and mouth shape seem off. There is the size being a thick and bigger than normal thorichthys. The red on the belly is unlike any color on any thorichthys I've seen too.
Is there a population that could be that different?

abrooks12376

Post by abrooks12376 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:36 pm

I don't know?? I just like shiny things! He was twice the size of the others when he came in??I feed him pretty good.

Rico Morgenstern
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Rico Morgenstern » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:14 am

It may be a hybrid of T. meeki and T. maculipinnis. The distribution of red and the fin ornamentation is intermediate between the two species. The size is unusual, but many cichlids may get larger in aquarium than in the wild due to larger and more constant supply with, and different composition of food.

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:25 am

Rico Morgenstern wrote:It may be a hybrid of T. meeki and T. maculipinnis. The distribution of red and the fin ornamentation is intermediate between the two species. The size is unusual, but many cichlids may get larger in aquarium than in the wild due to larger and more constant supply with, and different composition of food.
I think this is a strong possibility. Especially if the fish were mislabeled in the first place.
But one thing is strange is the mouth. Look at the shape. It's much wider than any thorichthys I've seen. It was wide like an a. Robertsoni mouth.

abrooks12376

Re: RE: Re: Is this really thorichthys maculipinnis?

Post by abrooks12376 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:33 am

CA cichlid dude wrote:
Rico Morgenstern wrote:It may be a hybrid of T. meeki and T. maculipinnis. The distribution of red and the fin ornamentation is intermediate between the two species. The size is unusual, but many cichlids may get larger in aquarium than in the wild due to larger and more constant supply with, and different composition of food.
I think this is a strong possibility. Especially if the fish were mislabeled in the first place.
But one thing is strange is the mouth. Look at the shape. It's much wider than any thorichthys I've seen.
Referring to op's fish right?

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:50 am

abrooks12376 wrote:
CA cichlid dude wrote:
But one thing is strange is the mouth. Look at the shape. It's much wider than any thorichthys I've seen.

Yes referring to the original pic.

I think it's a possible hybrid or a variation of t. Maculipinnis I don't know. There are many variations that look very different in color and body shape depending where they were collected from.
But I am not 100% sure on what it is. I can say the meeki and other maculipinnis I bought at this LFS are not hybrids.
Last edited by CA cichlid dude on Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

abrooks12376

Re: RE: Re: Is this really thorichthys maculipinnis?

Post by abrooks12376 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:52 am

CA cichlid dude wrote:
abrooks12376 wrote:
CA cichlid dude wrote:

I think it's a possible hybrid or a variation of t. Maculipinnis I don't know. There are many variations that look very different in color and body shape depending where they were collected from.
Cool, you guys are on another level, from my limited experience and novice cichlid brain.. looks like a Elioti or mac got it on with a meeki.. not sure if that's possible? Should be I'd think.

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:41 pm

abrooks12376 wrote:
CA cichlid dude wrote:
abrooks12376 wrote: Referring to op's fish right?

Cool, you guys are on another level, from my limited experience and novice cichlid brain.. looks like a Elioti or mac got it on with a meeki.. not sure if that's possible? Should be I'd think.

Well I'm not so sure about myself being on another level. Learning about the fish is part of the fun and I am always reading or try to get info.
People say never mix thorichthys sp. because they will interbreed. But IME that has never happened. I currently have t. Mac, meeki and pasiones together. It seems each sp. sticks with their own kind in breeding. In fact I have always kept different sp. of CA cichlids in community tanks and have never produced hybrids. Even w/ cichlids that are very closely related.

krazykilroy

Post by krazykilroy » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:30 pm

I remember one day, about two decades ago I was wandering through shops in New York City, and I came across a pet Store on Lexington Avenue.

It had the LARGEST Firemouth I EVER SAW! Had to be at least 8 inches! Ever Since then I've been trying to find an explanation for this. Every different species in this family doesn't get this large either! It was quite beautiful as well.

One can only hope that I can get a FM to a decent size without getting killed by other Cichlids.

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:55 pm

krazykilroy wrote:I remember one day, about two decades ago I was wandering through shops in New York City, and I came across a pet Store on Lexington Avenue.

It had the LARGEST Firemouth I EVER SAW! Had to be at least 8 inches! Ever Since then I've been trying to find an explanation for this. Every different species in this family doesn't get this large either! It was quite beautiful as well.

One can only hope that I can get a FM to a decent size without getting killed by other Cichlids.
I have found many NA/CA cichlids get larger in the aquarium. Good water quality, less stress and varied diet all help. Fish have indeterminate growth so keep them long enough, and they might get larger than expected. Also keep in mind when they hit a certain age or size growth does slow down significantly. Your best bet for a large meeki is to keep a group in a large tank. I would avoid larger aggressive species as tank mates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Central American Cichlids”