Thorichthys maculipinnis biotope

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
stomper160

Thorichthys maculipinnis biotope

Post by stomper160 » Wed May 15, 2013 7:48 pm

Hey guys and gals,
So I have been keeping cichlids for about a decade now and I am interested in creating a biotope around Thorichthys maculipinnis. I recently did a google search on them to see if any new information on the fish has been published and found a site that claimed they were in the upper Coatzacoalcos basin, on Rio Almoloya.

I read Juan’s story about the fish and he stated that they inhabit the entire lowlands of the Papaloapan system, but not in the Coatzacoalcos river system. What river system is Rio Almoloya apart of? Is it possible the Thorichthys was misidentified on this site? http://excursions.aquariophil.org/html/ ... _b_02.html

Are there any other cichlids found in nature that co-habitat with the Maculipinnis anywhere besides these: Petenia splendida, urophthalmus, octofasciatus, salvini, fenestratus, and nebuliferus? What about Vieja Regani?

Meeki67

Re: Thorichthys maculipinnis biotope

Post by Meeki67 » Thu May 16, 2013 3:43 am

The problem with internet is that anybody can write anything ... I'm concen too. But for rio almoloya you never find malculipinis but sp. coatzacoalcos. Rio almoloya go to rio ajal that go to rio grande that go to rio coatzacoalcos ... The picture on the link you specified are nos the best to identify clearly a thori, but if the river is correct, the list of possible species is well konwn now ...

stomper160

Re: Thorichthys maculipinnis biotope

Post by stomper160 » Sat May 18, 2013 6:14 pm

Meeki67 wrote:The problem with internet is that anybody can write anything ... I'm concen too. But for rio almoloya you never find malculipinis but sp. coatzacoalcos. Rio almoloya go to rio ajal that go to rio grande that go to rio coatzacoalcos ... The picture on the link you specified are nos the best to identify clearly a thori, but if the river is correct, the list of possible species is well konwn now ...
Thanks you for your response.

I agree. That is why I thought I'd give it a shot asking on this board. I doubt I am the only person to have gone on a crazy goose chase looking for information on a fish. :D

Can anyone confirm or deny that Thorichthys Maculipinnis was once referred to as Thorichthys sp. Mixteco (blue)? It seems to me I recall reading that Mixteco Blue was merely a variant of Maculipinnis, but I do not remember where I read that.

Return to “Central American Cichlids”