Tomocichla Asfraci ?

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
jonny jones

Tomocichla Asfraci ?

Post by jonny jones » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:14 pm

Please can eneyone help me try and get a few of these cichlids! as would love to try and get this species back into our hobby! Maybe someone in germany/netherlands can find me a few!! Does eneyone still collect Tomocichla Asfraci?

duanestuermer

Re: Tomocichla Asfraci ?

Post by duanestuermer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:48 am

I have a young group I picked up at the ACA as 1/2" fry last summer, but don't expect them to spawn for at least another year (if not longer).
I will make the fry available if they do, and if they are in good shape.
They are approx 4" now

Michael Kwist

Post by Michael Kwist » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:33 am

Hello,

They are sometimes available by hobbyzoo-tillmann in Duisburg (Germany) you could ask them if they can get them for you.
We don't have any of them in the Netherlands at the moment... most of them died by infections because a lot of people don't understand how much care they need. A lot of water changes and a good temperature with a lot variation in food. (don't feed them to protein rich food!)
I have kept some wildcaught asfraci in 2007 very nice and underrated fish :(
Greetings Michael.

Nuchal Man

Post by Nuchal Man » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:34 am

I don't find them to be very hard to care for. They do fine with 50% weekly water changes and lower protein diet but otherwise are unproblematic. Mine are still small about 3". The problem i see is the ones in the US are very inbred and as a result there are a lot of deformed fish, so it's very important to cull fry. It's a shame no one has been able to introduce some fresh blood to the stock in the US.

duanestuermer

Post by duanestuermer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:24 pm

I agree with Sam, half of the 10 I picked up are deformed, and the jury is still out on 1 or 2 others. The deformed ones are not growing well.
Here are a few of the deformities, I am only keeping them, to use as dithers/targets in case there are pair bonding issues down the road with the non deformed ones.
Can't really see how the above one manages to eat at all.

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:18 am

At this point, to spawn brother and sister to each other, particularly with the high percentage of deformities, will only make things worse for the next generation, unless fresh captive stock unrelated, can be brought over from other sources. Wild caught, of course, would be ideal.

duanestuermer

Post by duanestuermer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:38 pm

I agree, if any of mine spawn, I'd be very reticent to allow any fry out at this point.

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:46 pm

Hopefully, you can get your hands on some European, or wild caught, specimens to mix with yours.

Nuchal Man

Post by Nuchal Man » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:06 am

Fingers crossed, Panama might happen for me next year and this is definitely one of the fish I'll be targeting.

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:15 am

Great news! Put me on your list if you bring some back and spawn them. :D

jonny jones

Post by jonny jones » Mon May 06, 2013 12:51 pm

Thanks for info on Asfraci guys!! bean away for a month so only just logged on to check forum!

Shame about the deformities my friend!! hope it dont spread on when you bread the good fish!! Thinking there"s a need for collecting a few guys?? Eneyone fancey sorting a trip out? id be up for a little fishing for these stunning cichlids!

Hobbyzoo has none in at the minute :(

Grummie2

Post by Grummie2 » Wed May 08, 2013 4:25 pm

Just got a spawning today, that doesn't mean they'll be any fry, but there's just 2 pair in this tank so maybe the female can look after these this time. No deformities in the adults, hoping the fry (if any) turn out good. I don't want to remove the eggs, they need a lot of oxygen and seem to be prone to fungus, I'm hoping the female will do a better job than me :) .
Graham

jonny jones

Post by jonny jones » Thu May 09, 2013 8:13 am

Grummie2 wrote:Just got a spawning today, that doesn't mean they'll be any fry, but there's just 2 pair in this tank so maybe the female can look after these this time. No deformities in the adults, hoping the fry (if any) turn out good. I don't want to remove the eggs, they need a lot of oxygen and seem to be prone to fungus, I'm hoping the female will do a better job than me :) .
Top news Grummie! Like winning the lotto if all turns out good buddy!! Hope things go well with these for you mate!! Dont forget to put my name on a few of these Grum mate!

Eney updated pics of adults buddy!

Grummie2

Post by Grummie2 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:10 am

Fingers crossed, they're still there today....
Here's a few pic Jonny...not brilliant but dont want to disturb too much...

Graham

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Thu May 09, 2013 11:42 am

Might I ask what the total length is for the male and the female?

jonny jones

Post by jonny jones » Thu May 09, 2013 12:36 pm

Thanks for the pics Grum mate! Stunning pair :)

Are these the 2 fish that survived from batch few years ago buddy? or these your old pair buddy!

whots the brown dish for grum!

Grummie2

Post by Grummie2 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:09 pm

Hi Mark, the male is about 9", female about 7".
Jonny, these are 2 of the 6 that survived from the second successful(?) spawn from the original pair. The bowl is a breakfast bowl from tesco, I saw how successful Jim (notho2000) was with his large flower pots and these were the best I could do at the time lol. I have another pair in a different tank, they'll take a while to settle but I hope they'll do the biz too....going to use rainbows as dithers in with them.....
Graham

jonny jones

Post by jonny jones » Fri May 10, 2013 8:53 am

Grummie2 wrote:Hi Mark, the male is about 9", female about 7".
Jonny, these are 2 of the 6 that survived from the second successful(?) spawn from the original pair. The bowl is a breakfast bowl from tesco, I saw how successful Jim (notho2000) was with his large flower pots and these were the best I could do at the time lol. I have another pair in a different tank, they'll take a while to settle but I hope they'll do the biz too....going to use rainbows as dithers in with them.....
Are the dithers just to settle the cichlids in grum? or are the males hard on the females in this speices bud!! Being from panama buddy! do you keep the ph and tds a little lower than normal"

Grummie2

Post by Grummie2 » Fri May 10, 2013 3:40 pm

The dithers will be just to give them something to focus on besides themselves, but I've found them to be quite good with each other actually (the females seem slightly more aggressive). TBH I don't do much with the water at all, its HMA filtered but I don't do water changes too often, contrary to what I've read they seem to do great on aged water. They're being fed on hikari cichlid gold (floating) and dried river shrimp. They do seem to go into breeding mode during our winter months though...maybe they're seasonal....we'll see how the rest of the year pans out. BTW, eggs are still there today, can only see 2 fungused so far......
Graham

jonny jones

Post by jonny jones » Fri May 10, 2013 3:55 pm

Grummie2 wrote:The dithers will be just to give them something to focus on besides themselves, but I've found them to be quite good with each other actually (the females seem slightly more aggressive). TBH I don't do much with the water at all, its HMA filtered but I don't do water changes too often, contrary to what I've read they seem to do great on aged water. They're being fed on hikari cichlid gold (floating) and dried river shrimp. They do seem to go into breeding mode during our winter months though...maybe they're seasonal....we'll see how the rest of the year pans out. BTW, eggs are still there today, can only see 2 fungused so far......
The females more aggressive just like in the Black nastie grum :D Bet you miss that big pair buddy!! Id say you"ve kept them more than most! So if aged water works buddy! All the better mate! Do you do your water changes with cooler water to strigger them buddy! iv found cichlid golds a top food to add colour and a few chopped worms for size and condishion mate! Thats good news with the funguse mate! dont you add mett blue to tank mate!

Return to “Central American Cichlids”