Herichthys pantostictus "rio panuco"

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
eddiezaw

Herichthys pantostictus "rio panuco"

Post by eddiezaw » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:51 pm

Hello,
New to this forum in search of some advice on my pantostictus pair and there seem to be some knowledgeable people on the subject on this site. I have had this species for a few years now and within the last year a pair has formed and spawned twice. My problem is that after the second spawn the male is relentlessly beating on the female. I had the pair divided for quite some time and every time I remove the divider the same outcome happens within minutes. This has been my experience with almost all of my south american cichlids. They breed once or twice then they fight to the death. Normally I sell the pair at this point, but seeing as how I really enjoy these fish I want to get them breeding again. Every time I re-introduce them however the male is pinning the female in a corner and going to town on her. My latest attempt at reconciling the relationship is completely removing the male to a 10g giving the female a few weeks alone then dropping the male back in. Anybody have any suggestions? The pair is normally housed in a 75 gallon tank I keep the temperature at 82-84 degrees, a little high but this is what enticed them to spawn in the first place.

Lee Nuttall

Re: Herichthys pantostictus "rio panuco"

Post by Lee Nuttall » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:58 am

Sadly there are certain behaviour patterns we cannot change under aquarium conditions. In this situation, most hobbyist will use a divider to protect the female. In a large tank you could possibly house a small harem of females to one male as this can sometimes help when targeting aggression issues during periods of spawning?

You will see with other species of cichlid that this is quite a common behaviour pattern when the pair bond breaks down. Like you say, perhaps giving the pair a cooling period, then reintroducing them may help, however this I can't guarantee!

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Lee.

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:37 pm

Have you thought of using a divider (rigid sheet acrylic) with multiple holes drilled in it, that will allow the female through but the male not. Works well in that the female can come and go and the male is held to his one side. I have used this method for large CA cichlids where the females are usually quite a bit smaller. Most recently, I used this method (with great success) for pairs of Lepomis megalotis (Longear sunfish). Here there is no pair bond. Just "female in - pair spawn - female flees for her life". The females get pretty good at finding their way back to the "safe haven" side especially if you have an array of holes. Also this way she goes across when she's ready, not when you think she's ready
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

duanestuermer

Post by duanestuermer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:42 am

I have used the same divider method notho does, cutting 3 or 4 hole in eggcrate the female can get thru, too small for the male.
My male pantostictus was thicker and much higher bodied so it worked well.

eddiezaw

Post by eddiezaw » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:13 am

Well I am currently working out the kink on a divider. My first attempt ended in a badly beaten female since the holes I cut in the egg crate were barley large enough for the male to squeeze through. Since the eggcrate only allows for square holes I am working on making some sort of round adapter that only allows the female through. Thanks for all the advice this has been every helpful.

eddiezaw

Post by eddiezaw » Fri May 10, 2013 11:01 pm

So I have constructed a divider with holes that the female can pass through but not the male. The female took a few beatings but has learned to move back and fourth easily and avoids the male. now my problem is that they will not spawn. The way I initially got them to spawn was, I jacked the temperature up to about 85 degrees for 2.5 weeks then unplugged the heater and did two big water changes to induce spawning. I have tried this a few time to no avail. Also the pair seems to be refusing food more often than not. Anybody have experience with this situation? Or another method to induce spawning?

Return to “Central American Cichlids”